Monster Monster

Everything was laid out perfectly. Their plan was all laid out, nothing could go wrong. Connor should know- he had run the numbers several times over, however, None of it seemed to ease the roiling, knotted pit that had made its home in his processors. He'd been watching the moving tracker obsessively, but never mentioned it to the group. Just thinking about telling them sent a thrill of terror down his spine in ways Connor couldn't find the words to describe. Maybe Markus would know- but Connor was definitely not telling him.

"Hey."

As if the room had spun around, Connor was jarred back to reality. All the information displayed behind his eyes was quickly dismissed in favor of regarding Markus sitting beside him. Right- he was in Markus' room. "Hello, Markus." He managed to push a small smile on his face. Thankfully, he got one in return.

"Hey Connor. I know it's the big day, you must be nervous." His words came out so softly, so lovingly that it made Connor wanted to cry. Looking at Markus was unbearable. There was an undeniable painful look in his eyes, concern for Connor, but also such a raw and human adoration that he had to avert his gaze to the grey floor. He nodded in lieu of a response. It was enough for Markus.

"Connor can- can you look at me for a second? Please?" And there it was, the impossible. Connor so desperately needed to keep his head down, but Markus sounded so goddamn vulnerable. Silently, he cursed himself, looking up at Markus. "No matter what happens after today I just want you to know...." He hesitated, then grabbed Connor's hand. Their skin melted away, and all sorts of emotions exploded behind his eyes. A warm sort of feeling; One that wrapped Connor up in a hug and wouldn't let him go. It was suffocating the best possible sense.

"Markus I-"

"Hey! Connor! Your dad is outside and he won't leave!" The sharpness of North's voice sliced through the buttery warmth, shocking Connor to attention. He hastily pulled his hand away from Markus and got to his feet.

"Of course, North. We'll be right out."

She glanced between Connor and Markus with raised eyebrows, but decided not to comment. There was clearly some tension there. Connor was grateful for it, because he already wanted to die of embarrassment, if he was being honest. Markus nodded curtly, standing as well. They walked outside in dead silence, and Connor knew they looked awkward, if Hank's scrunched brows were any indication.

"Glad that you two finally made it. Gavin pulled some strings and got in contact with RK900, and he thinks he's meetin' you and Con face to face. Basically some bullshit about the safety of Jericho- or something." Hank shrugged, "Ask Gavin, I don't fuckin' know." With his little debrief finished, Hank turned and lead them to the car.

The tension seemed to mount in the small space, pressing against the windows and crushing Connor into the seat. It was a ridiculous notion, he thought, but it seemed to make sense. Markus shifted beside him. A small creak made him glance up, meeting Hank's eyes in the mirror. He inclined his head towards Markus and then gave Connor a meaningful glance. Anxiety prickled in Connor's chest. In return, he shrugged helplessly.

"We're here." The car rolled to a stop near an old warehouse, and the androids got out. "I'm gonna drive a ways away, Connor can contact me when it's time. We don't want to scare him off before we can get him."

Connor nodded. "Of course, Lieutenant."

Markus said nothing, which did little to ease Connor's nerves. Deviancy really was troublesome, wasn't it? Dust flew up into the air as Hank sped off, and it felt like Connor's heart was being dragged along with it.