ch.2 Did You Just Die?

Third Person

Five confused and worried teenage lads sit in the waiting room, staring at each other as a murmur of voices come from the room a girl with red hair was rushed into. They stay still, shocked that if they move something bad will happen.

The eldest of the group stands up as a doctor holding a clipboard walks over to him. The doctor looks at him with a sympathetic expression as two body bags are being wheeled away on gurneys toward the morgue.

The lad who has stood up looks at the doctor, then to his friends, and back to the doctor. Tears fill his eyes even though he's not sure what to cry about. He looks down to the floor and catches a flower petal in his view. A black rose petal sits on the floor beside a chair in the waiting room. It's so black that it looks purple in the lighting.

He scrunches his eyebrows at the petal and bends down in a crouching position to pick it up with his thumb and index finger. He stretches himself back up to look at the doctor who seems consumed in the information his clipboard contains.

"Come with me," the doctor tells the lad, making him look up with his sea green eyes that have a hint of blue in them. They twinkle in the light that illuminate the hospital. He stiffens and nods, walking after the doctor who leads him into a room where a beeping noise is coming from.

"What's her name?" the doctor questions the lad wearing a red and white striped shirt, red suspenders, red capri's, and red TOMS to match his outfit. His hair is a light brown colour, styled to the side a bit but still manages to keep a cool messy look.

"We don't know." The boy states firmly. He looks around the hospital room and sees the door swing open when a woman wearing all black walks into the room and looks at the doctor.

"There was a fire at the house. That's why her breathing was mixed and smoke filled her lungs. We found the house over by the woods the lad's explained the location of; but it was too late. We found two bodies and she makes three," the girl explains, pointing to the bed that is placed in in the middle of the room--against the white wall.

"Alana Kingston is her name. Both of her parents were killed in the fire and no one seems to have found out how the fire started," she adds, waiting for someone to say something.

There's a long pause and finally the lad wearing stripes coughs awkwardly to break the silence. The woman raises an eyebrow at him and looks to the doctor who merely shrugs his shoulders; allowing her to walk away, shutting the door quietly.

"So, your name is?" the doctor asks.

"Louis Tomlinson," Louis responds quietly and turns to look at the girl with bright red hair. She lays on her back with her shoulders and head propped up on the pillow. An oxygen tube plugged in her nose. She's tucked in under the dull light blue hospital sheets with her arms laying by her sides.

She looks peaceful if you squint. But if you don't, you can see a damaged girl who's skin is pinker than skin should be. Her right hand is wrapped up in light pink bandages from whatever happened in that house. There are multiple cuts on her arms that are small and will heal quickly but are very noticeable.

Her breathing matches with the musical term staccato. It's abrupt and disconnected but it's quiet. Her heart monitor isn't steady. It's jumping up, lowering, steady for a moment, and jumps around again.

"What's going to happen to her?" Louis questions the doctor, his voice cracking a bit. His bottom lip quivers and a tear streams down his cheek. All this over a girl he doesn't know. He seems...broken.

"If she dies, well she'll be dead. If she lives, I don't know what she'll do. I guess whatever she wants to do when she leaves," the doctor explains. Louis nods to him and he walks over to the right side of the hospital bed, looking down at the small girl who lays on it.