The Den of Souls - Chapter Four

"I knew you'd pick the right door!" Ian said, dramatically. He waved his hands up in the air in defeat. "Of course you'd pick the right door! Your friend picked that door."

"Oh, stop it brother," Leon said. He walked over to Ian and slapped his back. "Just suck it up. Either way, we're still in for the night of our lives. You can pick the next door."

Damien shook his head at his friends.

"They act like kids, don't they?" he said.

"Yes, they do," I replied as I continued watching the younger twin console his older brother. I sighed loudly.

"You keep sighing," Damien pointed out. "What's up?"

He took a step towards me, his tall figure towering over me. I quickly took one step back. He noticed it and grinned.

"Did you pick the right door because I picked the right door?" he asked. He took one step forward.

"What?! No," I replied. "Why would I do that?"

In the corner of my eye, I saw Lily giggle and cover her mouth with her hands as she watched me back away from Damien.

Damien shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe because you think I'm hot or something."

I spluttered a laugh and took another step back, my cheeks heating up. "Definitely not!"

"Ouch, that hurts," he said. Damien took another step towards me as I took another step back, but my back hit against something cold and I yelped like wounded dog.

"What? What happened?" Lily asked. She appeared next to me, no longer giggling. Her brow creased above her eyes and she licked her bottom lip worriedly. Beside her, Damien looked equally as worried. He tried to reach out to me, but decided against it and pulled his hand back.

I turned around quickly to see what my back had touched and sighed a breath of relief when I realized it was just the doorknob.

"Oh, it was just the doorknob," I said.

Everyone had gathered around me and the door. It was a simple wooden door, styled similarly to the rest of the church room. There were intricate designs and swirls traveling up and down the sides of the door. Hanging at the center of the door was a small brown sign with bright white letters on it: Don't Get Bit.

"'Don't get bit?'" Lily read. "What does that mean?" I looked at her.

"Remember what the guy before said. He said there'd be clues on the doors that would give us a hint about the next room," I said.

"Maybe it's about dogs?" Anna offered. "Dogs can bite."

"Dogs aren't scary," Tricia said.

"But, they can be," Anna replied.

"What if they're snakes?" Lily asked. Tricia was going to answer, no doubt to say something rude, but she was interrupted before she could say anything.

Ian pushed through Tricia and Anna to the door and put his hand on the doorknob.

"Only one way to find out," he said, twisting his hand and opening the door.

The door slowly creaked open, revealing a brightly lit and seemingly calm room. The room had a long stretch of green grass that was trimmed neatly and went as far as our eyes could see. The fake sky overhead had fluffy white clouds floating aimlessly below a light blue background. There was even a small and pleasant breeze that drifted throughout the room. The only thing that indicated we were still in a haunted house was the vast expanse of grey cement headstones that lined the grassy field eerily and silently. There was a metal door on the left wall and one on the back wall.