She cracked the door open and instantly felt the chilling air freezing every cell of her body, something that caused her to wrap her coat more tightly around her. Loki was sitting there, with his back against her. She approached and sat beside him. He was curled with his knees against his chest, his arms wrapped around his legs and his eyes closed, so lost in his thoughts that he didn't even notice Y/N's presence.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

She put a hand on his shoulder. Her touch was so soft and gentle that he didn't even flinch. He only opened his eyes and sighed.

"I'm fine, you don't need to worry", he answered with his eyes gazing at the dark sky.

"Sure? You scared me in there, Loki".

Loki turned his head and looked at her with a small smile breaking out in his lips.

"I'm fine, really. Just a little bemused, that's all. But it's good to know that someone cares for me this dearly", muttered the God of Mischief then and cupped her cheek.

"Who is this man? Is he dangerous or-"

"No, no, he's not. This is all a personal matter; I just don't feel comfortable around him. But I'll get used to it, you don't have to worry".

"Okay then", said Y/N, "I trust you".

Loki smiled softly and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. Then, he wrapped his arm around her waist and looked to the starry sky. Y/N leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Isn't it beautiful?" he whispered, "Almost as beautiful as you. Almost".

~-~-~

He was falling. Falling into nothingness at breakneck speed.

Please, stop.

The fall didn't stop, and Loki kept falling faster and faster. He closed his eyes and clenched his hands into tight fists. His head began pounding.

When he opened his eyes, the emptiness around him began altering. Taking shape and becoming something.

He looked down. He was reaching the ground.

No. Stop. Please...

This time, when he opened his eyes, his body pitching forward, he was in his bed. Safe. He gazed to his left and sighed in relief when he saw Y/N sleeping peacefully by his side.

He lay back and pulled her into an embrace. He kissed the top of her head and began caressing her arm pensively.

It had been a while since he last had one of those nightmares. He only had them when he went through bad periods of his life. Or whenever Fred was around and was up to something.

From all the people he knew, all his friends and former girlfriends and boyfriends, Fred was the one who brought those nightmares to him more intensely than anyone. Loki didn't know why. It just happened.

Fred was the first person that Loki had a relationship with ever since he arrived in Midgard. Right from the first day they met, Loki had the same dream every night: falling into nothingness. So he sent Fred away. And now that he was back, nightmares haunted Loki again.

"Loki", sounded Y/N's sleepy voice, "Are you awake?"

"Hmm..." he hummed and his lips curved into a wan smile, "I'm sorry if I woke you up".

"I just felt you spinning and turning in the bed", she said and turned her face towards him, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine", Loki soothed her.