Chapter 8

" One day you will kiss a man you can't breathe without and find that breath is of little consequence"
                                                                                             -Karen Marie Moning

Smriti woke up to a very long day today, she had her household chores plus her work in school was added up as there was a " Janani Suraksha Yojana" camp organised for pregnant women who were economically backward and malnourished. She liked doing this work of hers, it gave her an opportunity to fraternise with the people from the lower sections of the society. She not only helped them with the government schemes but also explained the importance of healthcare and education. She was a popular figure in her school and also the most loved. Talking with the women and children, listening to their concerns made her forget her own worries. Her problems seemed to be minimal in front of the problems faced by the girls and women in the socio-economically backward villages.

She was doing her paperwork when Chandra, a heavily pregnant labourer, came to her desk. Smriti looked up and gave her a broad smile,
" Chandri, again pregnant, in 2-3 years you will create your own cricket team, What is this, still waiting for a boy? !!!! Exclaimed Smriti.
Boy child, what wonders is he going to create? And the wonders you have already created at home, have you thought about them?

To this Chandra added, " But Tangi*, he will take care of me Na!!!

Smriti chided her saying, " Are you out of your mind? Even I have a brother, he studies in Hubli, so far, who stays at home? who takes care of my Appa... me Na?? Then!!!! Silly woman

Take this out from the head of yours, look after your daughters properly, raise them healthy and nicely, they will be equal to 10 sons.

"Now as you are pregnant, government has started new schemes for having a healthy pregnancy and childbirth. So you have to come here every month till your delivery for food, medicines and if any discomfort then contact us immediately. Got it???

Even if you are planning for a cricket team, the team better be healthy and strong right!!" Smriti smiled again. She was still saying this when she heard someone clear their throat.
She looked away from Chandra to find Mahendra smiling down at her. A bubble formed in her stomach and it was rising up when she saw him standing at the entrance. Clad in white shirt and hands in his pockets, he walked towards her suavely. The bubble burst when he spoke.
In a silky tone Mahendra said, " Smriti Madam, can you help me?

Smriti looked at him surprised, but said sharply, " Help from me, er.... How can I help you Mr. CID? She bit her tongue at the last word. " Sorry, Mr. Shetty!
He smiled, " CID, who me ? How did you come to know of my profession?, he teased.... " you must be really good at investigating yourself, he laughed a low laugh...

This enraged Smriti a bit, " Mr. Shetty, please tell me how can I help you, the earlier the better, I have lots of other work to do!!! And she looked away. The room seemed to be filled with him and he grinned his trademark grin again.

Mahendra was aware of the effect he was having on her and continued, " madam, can you help the wives of the labourers on my estate with this scheme, few of them are pregnant and if need be, I would like to help you all as a volunteer too".

Smriti replied, " yes, yes, why not please do send them here, I will take care of that, don't worry.
There were few women waiting in the queue near the entrance, when suddenly she felt her hand squeezed lightly, rivers of pleasure flowed through her. Mahendra had held her hand under the papers kept on the table and he said in a low tone, " who will take care of me? Looking directly in her eyes.

Smriti didn't leave his gaze and asked, " Why? Are you pregnant???"

He roared with laughter never leaving her hand and if it was not in a school he would have kissed her silly, but sense prevailed and he let go of her hand. His laughter was music to her ears. He turned to go back, and she sat there looking at his retreating form, longing for him to look back at her and stop. He did look back when at the door, pouted his lips in a kiss and went away happily.