Chapter 26: Things Need To Change

George's Pov:
"Perfect! I just need to make copies now." I exclaimed, looking at the poster in front of me. I carefully laid my head against the table as I let out a sigh. I look at my phone that is right next to me then, I looked at my window. It was sorta cloudy today as numerous times the sun was hidden away by clouds. "What happened with Melvin?" I mumbled, sitting back up in my seat. He sounded so confused and surprised in that call. Like he saw a ghost or something like that. I shook my head slightly as I read over the information on my poster again. I needed to let that thought go away for now, at least. I need to focus on helping Harold pay rent here. It isn't fair for him to work while I stay here doing nothing. Harold. I look at the clock to check the time as I remembered he told me to make sure he would return in time to get ready for work. "4:40 PM. I should probably call him." I spoke as I grabbed my phone. I lay back in my chair as I clicked on his contact to call him. I put the phone up to my ear as soon as I hear a ringing sound coming from it. "Hey, I'm busy right now so, just leave a voice mail or something like that." Harold's recorded message spoke. I pinched my nose slightly as I groaned quietly. I knew I needed to leave him a voicemail so, as soon as I heard the 'beep' I began to speak. "Harold, get back home already, you'll be late for your cafe shift." I stated with a tone similar to one of a disappointed or annoyed mother. I ended the call immediately after sending the voicemail.

"I should probably send him a text just in case he can't talk on the phone." I mumbled, going to my messaging app. I clicked his contact again and went to typing almost immediately. 'Harold, seriously, end your date. You'll be late for work. Just get home. That's all I'm asking.' I type out as I softly repeat each word. I click on the 'send' button then, turn off my phone as I return to checking my poster. I hear the bell ring and I get up from my seat knowing that was either Melvin or Harold.

I open the door to see Melvin standing there with a bag in his hand. "Get in, I'm hungry and need help checking my poster." I reply, walking to my seat. "Are you okay? You sound kinda annoyed." Melvin asked, setting the bag on the table as he sits down on the opposite side of the table. "It's not really much, I just had to remind Harold about his dumb shift at his cafe." I replied in a reassuring tone. I didn't want Melvin to worry too much about me anymore. He keeps worrying too much about it and not worry about himself.

Melvin nods taking out two soda cans and two bags of fruit snacks for us. "Thanks, Melvin. I was scared that something happened to you when you took a long time to get snacks." I admitted, opening my bag of fruit snacks. "Hm, well, I'm fine. I just was met up with a surprise on my way to the convenience store." He replied, taking a sip of his soda. "What type of surprise?" I asked, curious. Melvin slowly sets his soda can on the table as his eyes slightly widen. Can he not explain it or something?

"It's the type of surprise that throws you off track. That's all I'll tell you." Melvin replied. I could tell he was hiding something else but, I knew better than to force him to say it. So, I let it slide as I nod slowly. There was an awkward silence between us two as soon as he replied. It was interrupted by a buzzing sound coming from my phone. I grab to check the notification I received only to see it was a reply from Harold. I click on it to see what he said.

'Okay but, I was so close to getting that first kiss from him. Bad timing, dude. I'm on my way.' The message read. "Asshole." I mumble under my breath as I put my phone aside. "George, we need to talk." Melvin spoke as he noticed my action. "Eh? About what?" I asked, getting nervous. "About Harold and how you're so obsessed about finding out why you two aren't close anymore." He replied and I felt my heart stop. "It's not really an obsession, Melvin. I'm just curious." I reply, softly. "It doesn't matter, it's just unhealthy for you." He stated with a stern tone.

"You need to get over him. Stop talking to him, stop thinking about him, stop wondering why everything is the way it is. What happened just happened, George. You need to move past this and focus on what's happening now." Melvin explained and my breath seemed to hitch with every word. "What do you propose I do then?" I ask, looking away. I didn't realize it was that bad or that noticeable. "Start meeting other people. I mean, Harold is meeting up with that date and who knows, maybe they'll date one another." He suggested, giving me a slight smile.

I sigh as I slid down my chair slightly, this kinda feels like Mr.Krupp is talking to me again. Wait, Mr.Krupp! I gotta ask him about those students! I need to call Edith right now! But, I can't do it now with Melvin on my tail now. "Well, I guess, I can try who do you think I should date?" I ask, playing along. I need to convince him, I agree with everything he is saying. I know what I'm doing is unhealthy but, I need to know why Harold is the way he is. Not as his old crush but, as his best friend. I need to-

"Date me, instead." Melvin spoke, suddenly.