18

hello beautiful babies. Use this message as preparation for the chapter you are about to read🥺 ily all!!!

Autumn rolls around rather suddenly in Derry. Each day fall by as fast as the yellow leaves from the trees. The sun rises and sets as if on fast-forward now, though the sun is still bright, still brilliant in the sky. The days are cooler even when the sky lacks clouds. Upon the newly softened mud were the acorns, green to pale brown, along with fresh boot prints from the people of Derry that decide to take early morning walks.

Through the mist of the fall morning, Eddie breathes out into the atmosphere with rosy cheeks from the cool breeze, body covered by a cosy bomber-jacket and ears protected by a beanie that Bev had lent him. He can still remember the squeal she let out the first time he tried it on, repeatedly telling him how adorable he looked before forcing him to keep it. He had to admit, it did suit him, and with the outline of brown curls escaping the rim of the material, he couldn't look cuter if he tried.

"So, are you excited for school?" Stanley asks, scuffing his boots along the dirt track with his head turned towards Eddie. The two decided that taking a walk through Derry's local park would be nice to clear their minds. Eddie was surprised at first when the Jewish boy had asked if he wanted to hang out for a few hours, but definitely didn't hesitate to say yes. He likes Stanley; the sassy yet very intelligent one of the group.

"Not really. Bower's said he was going to show up at my house." Eddie mumbles back in response, sighing a little.

"Show up?" Stanley frowns. "Show up and do what exactly?"

Eddie just looks towards him, as if it's a little obvious. "He wants to kill me."

Stanley pauses in his tracks, making Eddie do the same. He searches the smaller boy's eyes before sighing. "Dude, he's not going to kill you. If anything, I might kill him before he even gets the chance to 'show up' at your house." He uses air quotes with a sarcastic chuckle, nudging Eddie's shoulder in a friendly manner. "So don't worry about it."

"Thanks." Eddie smiles as the two resume walking along the crunching pathway. He couldn't be more thankful for the fact that his friends actually care about him. If it wasn't for them, his body would probably be found decomposed underneath Henry Bower's bed already. Eddie forces the thought from his mind and swiftly changes the subject. "How's you and Bill?"

"What?" Stanley frowns. Only then does Eddie realise what he just asked and mentally face-palms, his cheeks glowing with embarrassment.

"O-Oh, um, nothing. Never mind." He shakes his head, but to his surprise Stanley lets out a large sigh and answers his question.

"I know you saw us, Eddie." The blonde curly haired boy looks down at the smaller teen beside him. "Thanks for not spreading it around, you're amazing for that." He smiles, and Eddie nods understandably.

"It wasn't my news to spread."

"I know. Bill freaked out once we saw you run away, he kept saying that everyone will find out and we'd be the laughing stock of the school. I tried to convince him that you wouldn't do that, but he still didn't believe me." Stanley looks down at his feet.

"W-What happened?" Eddie asks quietly, eyes glued to the other boy's lips. He wants to make sure that he didn't potentially ruin their relationship right off the bat. He'd feel terrible.

"We've decided to take things slow for now, I'm pretty sure we won't tell anyone for a little while yet."

Eddie lets out a sigh of relief. "That's good."

"Yeah," Stanley nods. "We've got a date on Friday and it's been so hard to keep it in." He lets out a small chuckle, warm breath smoking in the cold air. The smaller just nods, newly jealous eyes casting down at the crushed leaves below them.