Chapter Three - All Things Rusty

Start from the beginning

As the two walked across the floor to the table the boy's head turned to stare at me intently. He did not know me or why I was here and once we were sitting he made that fact very clear.

“Whose the girl” He asked his mother, pointing at me like I wasn't there.

“This is Imogen. She has joined us from her studies. Highest in her class. She will be you and your sisters guardian” The queen explained with a sweet smile.

The man screwed his face up and pointed toward me

“She's a child!” he announced angrily “and we don't need protecting! We've made it 25 years and we'll make it 25 more.”

The Queen frowned at her son and shook her head

“out of pure luck Oliver. There is a pretty price on both yours and Ocelia's heads. The underground scum want you dead.”

I bit the inside of my cheek. She was lying through her teeth. We'd grown up with nothing but the ability to feel. These people had grown up around food and money and a sense of entitlement. We on the other hand lacked all the material things they had, but we also loved, we cherished, we certainly didn't want anyone dead.

“Your answer is to employ a baby to protect us? I doubt they want us dead mother and even if they did. The damn law states that they are to stay in the underground unless bought or face death. You should remember that law. You made it.” Oliver pushed his chair out and pulled the napkin of his knees. He went to stand up and leave, but the queen called his name loudly twice, he conceded and sat back down.

I sat quietly next to Thomas, Certain that if I said even one word it would be wrong. Waiters brought food in to us soon after. Steam rose from the plates, and it occurred to me that I'd never eaten a hot meal before. Would the lust of a hot food cause me to bury my face in the plate? After the decadence of the hot shower, it was likely. However, guilt would surely follow.

A waiter served me a plate of what looked like artwork on a plate. It was colorful, and smelt delicious, even though I had no idea what it was.

“Let us eat” the queen commanded as she lifted her fork.

I picked up my own fork and took a small morsel from what looked to be some kind meat. I placed it in my mouth and almost let our an audible sigh. It was juicy and succulent and put every single can of beans I'd forced myself to eat to shame. The inevitable guilt followed, but my hunger overrode it and I polished off the entire plate before anyone else had. I placed my fork down on the plate and nervously looked around the room. Everyone was still eating, and chatting to the person beside them. Everyone but him. The prince. Our eyes met then he frowned at me.

“What does your twin do?” he asked inquisitively

My body tensed up, the question had caught me completely off guard. Of course, I was supposed to have a twin. According to all these people I was one of them. I swallowed deeply.

“He died when I was young” I replied. It was the only option, the only way to stifle any questions.

“That’s unfortunate. Perhaps he'd have been better suited to be any kind of guardian” He laughed at himself and took a sip from his glass of wine.

“You're a pretty arrogant boy aren't you” I scathed, forgetting where I was, and my place here.

Silence fell around the table and I heard Thomas suck in a deep breath. I didn't falter, even though my heart raced with fear, I continued to eyeball the prince. Surprisingly his serious stare turned to a wide grin. He looked down at his plate and nodded.

“Forgive me. You're right. I'm being arrogant and childish.” he said finally.

He looked to his mother and cleared his throat.