21: An entirely new era

Start from the beginning

"Why?"
He asked, before his glance flicked from her to the walking child's doll.

His eyes widened, before quietly scooting to the side. Her trunk was not very large, and she was able to put it directly in front of her.

They landed, Ingrid was able to get a better look at the woman. She was short and overweight, with a toadlike face and short curly brown hair.

The grin on her face made Severus cringe, before he quietly looked away from her. She cleared her throat and raised her eyebrows.

"A little help?"
She smiled, looking to her trunks and to the back seat.

Ingrid placed a friendly smile on her face, hopping out of the carriage. Ingrid had chosen to just wear a long sleeve dress that day, something that went down to her knees. She had on her hiking boots, just for the hell of it. Making it easier to do certain activities.

"Of course."
She nodded, before lifting the woman's trunks into the backseat. Instead of helping Ingrid, the woman just stood smiling outside of the carriage.

I am way too nice...

When she was finished, she hopped back into the carriage. The toadlike woman giggling and climbing in after her, she crossed her legs and knocked three times on the carriage.

It began to fly, Ingrid looked to Severus. Who sat smirking at her, she rolled her eyes.

"You are way too friendly."
He whispered to her, she nodded and took out her notebook.

She had just begun to scribble a small drawing, when the woman cleared her throat.

"Ahem. How impolite of me indeed, I am Dolores Umbridge..the new Defense against the dark arts professor."
She smiled and reached her hand out for Ingrid to shake, Ingrid placed a fake smile on her face and gave it a shake.

"Ingrid Felicity. Muggle Studies."
The woman grunted, before pulling her hand sharply away.

"And you are?"
She leant forward, Severus met her gaze.

"Severus Snape. Potions."
He mumbled, looking bored as usual.

The woman grunted again, before quietly pulling back and leaning against the seat. Prompting Ingrid to scoot closer to Severus.

The rest of the ride was silent, being nothing much they could talk about with a ministry worker watching their every move.

Ingrid wanted to ask Severus where he had been, and how come he hadn't written to her after she wrote him twice.

But she couldn't, if anyone knew about what happened on the last day of the term...she'd probably be dismissed.

They soon landed at hogwarts, filch running to help them with their bags. He reached out his hand for Dolores to take, she took it and stepped off. Him grabbing her trunks, and beginning to rush hurriedly after her.

Ingrid rolled her eyes and went to grab her trunk, Severus stopped her.

"Ive got it. You go inside, you'll be late for the feast."
He instructed, she shook her head.

"I'd rather be late then make you carry in my trunk, come along then."
She hopped out of the carriage and grabbed her trunk.

He smirked and climbed out after her.

"Awfully stubborn."
He said, following after her.

She placed her trunk where the students's luggage was. They then walked to the greathall, Dolores was already inside. Shaking hands with all of the professors, Minerva smiled and approached Severus and Ingrid.

"Ingrid! Very nice to see you dear."
She smiled, giving Ingrid a brief embrace.

"You also Minerva."
She replied, Minerva started conversation and began to walk to the seats with Ingrid.

Minerva sat on the left side of Ingrid, Severus sitting on the right. Followed by Dolores.

The students began to file inside, Minerva standing up and preparing to sort the coming first years. Being led by Filch.

The ceremony went quickly, Ingrid clapping along after each student. Severus stared straight ahead, not clapping for anyone..even the Slytherins.

Soon enough, Dumbledore had stepped up to the podium. Ingrid smiled at the man, having also missed him during the summer holiday.

"Good evening children!"
The hall went silent, turning to face him.

"Now we have two changes in staffing this year, we are pleased to welcome back Professor Grubblyplank. Who will be keeping care of magical creatures while Professor Hagrid will be on a temporary leave."

Ingrid smiled at the thought of the silly giant, he was awfully fun. She'd miss him for the time he'd be on a leave. Minerva patted his empty seat lovingly, Severus still looking absolutely bored.

"We also wish to welcome our new defense against the dark arts teacher, Dolores Umbridge!"
He smiled, gesturing to the toadlike woman sitting next to Severus.

She giggled, Severus turned his head annoyingly. Then looked to Ingrid, who rolled her eyes in return.

"Hopefully you will join me in wishing the professor, good luck."
He then looked down to the pamphlet sitting on the small desk. He prepared to say something else, yet was interrupted by the woman's throat clearing.

All heads turned to her, she quietly stood up. Smiling happily, she walked towards the front of the podium.

"Thank you Headmaster for those kind words of welcome..and how lovely to see all of your bright happy faces smiling up at me, I'm sure we are all going to be very good friends."

Ingrid cringed, reaching for her Goblet. She took a sip of the wine inside, suddenly realizing she's going to need a lot more if she is going to have to deal with this woman.

She turned to Severus, they exchanged an annoyed look. Along with Minerva.

And by the look of Dumbledore, he was also already fed up with the toad like creature.

"The ministry of magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards, to be of vital importance. Even though each Headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress...must be discouraged."

Oh so she is disrespecting Dumbledore now?!?

Ingrid let out a small growl, Umbridge turned to her. She replied with a smile and the side of her head in her hand.

She turned back around, continuing her little speech.

"Let is preserve what must be preserved...perfect what can be perfected, and prohibit practices that ought to be...prohibited."
She smiled wickedly, releasing a tiny little giggle.

Severus bit his lip and turned to Ingrid, looking as concerned as she felt. Minerva tapped her fingers on the table, saying vivid curse words under her breath.

This is going to be a long term.

-AN-
BEFORE WE GET TO THE NOTES.
I want to shout out my friend
AntiochCadmusIgnotus
SHE JUST WROTE A NEW BOOK
and she's a really good writer! I suggest you give it a looksie
This next series of chapters takes place in the Order of the Pheonix. I hope you enjoy reading!