A Bump in the Road

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Claire walks towards him. David smiles, and scratches his neck.

DAVID VERDIN
Tessa.

Tessa walks towards him. When it cuts back to David, he smiles in the same way and scratches his neck in the exact same place. Nelson's miracles at work. Hayley storms off in tears.

HAYLEY
You're just like my ex!

JOHN
And now, our final two ladies have their romantic one-on-one dates.

INT. COMIC BOOK SHOP – LATER

Everyone's watching the television, having a good time. Even Ian, standing in the back. On the television, David and Tessa are finishing their one-on-one date.

JESSE
Fancy hotel suite. I wonder what they do in there?

Claire gives him a LOOK.

JESSE
Just curious is all.

On the television, the door closes on Tessa and David. But instead of cutting to the next day, the television show cuts to a view of the hotel room from far away. The bedside light is on in the hotel room, lighting it up like a stage.

JESSE
Score! They filmed from another building. Those sneaky bastards. Should have closed the curtains, guys.

Claire is too distracted to say anything. She watches the screen intently. There's no sound. David falls onto the bed, turns over. Tessa sits on the edge of the bed, then starts to crawl up over David. She leans over and kisses him. From this distance and angle we can't tell that David is asleep. Tessa leans over and turns off the light. It looks bad. While everyone else is just enjoying a television show, Claire looks like she's swallowed something unpleasant.

INT. COMIC BOOK SHOP – LATER

Everyone, except Claire, has expressions on their faces like kids opening Christmas presents. Claire is frozen to the spot. On screen, David is proposing to her.

DAVID VERDIN
Marry me.
(beat)
It's an antique.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Yes.

Everyone except Claire jumps to their feet, celebrating like their home team just won the game. Claire doesn't move. Ella taps her on the shoulder again.

ELLA
Congratulations! When's the wedding? 

Claire comes out of her trance.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I'm sorry I...I need to get some air.

She gets up and EXITS the store.

EXT. FRONT OF COMIC BOOK SHOP – NIGHT

Claire pulls out her phone and dials David's number.

DAVID VERDIN (V.O.)
Hello?

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Did you see the last episode?

CUT TO:

INT. DAVID'S OFFICE – DAY

David's at his computer, sheets of paper laid out on his desk. They're covered in drawings and notes for new ideas.

DAVID VERDIN
No, not yet. I'm three hours behind you. I'm still at work. I've got it on my calendar though. Was it good?

Claire doesn't answer.