The Hens

The following week consisted of near hits and misses as it came to interacting with the newbie. Three times I just missed him at Pearl's, once he showed up at the bar during my shift but was kept away from me as he was being fed alcohol by the GOB's, and twice was he pulling out of the parking lot at the Piggly Wiggly as I was running in...not that I was counting or anything.

Admittedly, I caught myself thinking of the pretty boy with the long hair, green eyes, and accent a few times over that week. It was the way he had smiled at me and said 'Good night.' What did he mean by that? I got myself so caught up in the hows and why's, I confided in Pearl my anxiety. She did make a passing Cougar joke but indulged me in a second by second play of the end of that evening. As our two hour conversation came to a close, I was no closer to understanding what he meant.

Upon one more indulgent session of it with Pearl on the phone one night after Ashlyn went to bed, I found myself embarrassed of what I had been doing. I was making something out of nothing. So little happened in Beacon, especially something that had anything to do with me, I had created a mountain out of a molehill. I decided right before I fell asleep that night that I wouldn't spend more second thinking about Mr. Bean and his 'Good Night.'

So here it was exactly one week later and the day of Pearl and Rusty's annual bbq that signalled the beginning of the Summer for our crew. They went all out for this annual tradition - food, games, bonfire, fireworks, and alcohol. Pearl, of course, made it beautiful in her own way.

The day started with picnic benches  covered with white and red checkered tableclothes and mason jars filled with sun flowers. The tables that were laid out for the potluck also included little chalkboards to write down what your dish included. A separate table contained large punch bowls of pink lemonade, iced tea, and church punch - a concoction of Lemon-Lime soda, fruit punch mix, and sherbert...my favorite thing on this planet. She even had those adorable striped straws to sip your drink that somehow made everything taste better.

A separate table held desserts of all varieties under pretty glass or netted domes to keep the bugs away from the confections. I wasn't a church-goer myself but those ladies certainly loved to share their sweet recipes, everything from ambrosia to root beer cake, tempting all of us with the hope it would get us sinners to come to church for another taste.

Although the GOB's were technically in charge of the bbq itself, Pearl's influence was apparent by the neat and clean set-up of the meats on wooden boards, and the fact the GOB's were so afraid of Pearl, they wore matching grill aprons and didn't fuss once about it.

Never one to get all dressed up to hang out at Pearl and Rusty's only to watch the GOB's find ways to hit each other in the nuts, I caught myself straightening my hair, wearing a cute top, and applying lip gloss and mascara. Why was I going to any sort of trouble for this bbq? Harry....that sweet eyed boy was why. I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror and rolled my eyes at myself....but not before blotting my lips.

By the time I got the car packed with Ashlyn and all of her things, the salads I said I would contribute, the sparklers for the kids, and made my way over to the Palace, the party was already underway.

I barely was able to contain my squiggley baby long enough to strip her down to her bathing suit and apply sunscreen before she took off to the sprinklers and slip n' slide where the kids would spend a good part of the day.

Pearl's parents, Chuck and June-Bug Dalton were amazing people. They took over watching the kids so that I could help Pearl and we could have some fun without having to worry about the babies. They loved Ashlyn like one of their own grandkids. Even for tonight, a bag for Ashlyn was already packed for a sleepover as they would take the kids back with them to their place once the bbq ended and the party began. I never had to ask for them to watch Ashlyn, they always offered, and once again, I was forever grateful for these people who loved us.

Getting a hug and kiss from the Daltons, adding my salads to the already growing number of dishes on the potluck table (using the assigned chalkboard to label my broccili salad and Caesar salads), I took a deep breathe and entered the house making my way to the kitchen that was situated at the back.

I could hear the cackling of The Hens from here. The Hens as I called them were a collection of the girlfriends and wives of the GOB's. Let me just say, Pearl was a Saint from above to deal with these bitches.

Back in the day, they were not so nice to us. They were unhappy with the fact that this young girl, my Pearl, would have the audacity to step out of her lane and go after one of their 'guys'. I imagine that way back in elementary school those vipers drew straws to see who would end up losing their virginity to a specific GOB in the back of their pick-up truck, drank the blood of a chicken, and spit on it.....then Pearl and Rusty happened, upsetting the balance of their world. In their eyes, if Pearl could seduce one of them away, they were all in peril of losing their man. Well, let's just say they closed ranks and sought to make our lives a living hell.

Pearl was a warrior. She knew what she wanted and fought through the seven rings of hell for her guy. When it became apparent that no level of harassment would chase her away, they begrudgingly accepted her. They did corner me once to tell me that in no certain terms would they allow me to live if I made a grab for one of their men. I assured them they had nothing to worry about on that front and now we co-exist in this world together, they long ago having accepted Pearl and deal with me as Pearl's hetero life partner.

This did not change the fact that they were vicious she-devils with venom tongues and black hearts who, by the way the words that were coming from the kitchen sounded, had turned on one of their own.

"What the hell was she thinking wearing that to Bar H last night?" I heard Natalie scoff.

"Looking like a hooker who gets paid in donuts," replied Dee Dee who fancied herself Queen of the Hens. No time like the present to enter the kitchen and save Pearl.

"Speaking of hookers...", added Dee Dee as I walked in. They all laughed as Pearl came over to hug me and turn away from them to mouth 'Help Me', as she turned back to the butcher's block island in the center of her kitchen.

"I knew I smelled cheap perfume and booze when I came in," I said with a fake smile. The Hens waited to laugh until Dee Dee cackled at my comment.

"You funny little harlot," she cooed. Pearl looked at me with her big eyes, silently asking me to behave myself. I made a face back at her but decided to take the higher road

"Here let me help," I responded taking up the task of cutting up fruit for the party-goers. Dee Dee continued her lambasting of what I came to find out was one of her oldest friends.

"You know I love her and would never say this to anyone but you ladies," she began in a stage whisper, "but now that she's on the prowl and deathly afraid of getting pregnant, she started taking that birth control and got all sorts of fat."

"Birth control is a gift from Satan," barked Mary, Mother of six. "If Our Lord and Savior wanted women to stop pregnancy, he would of given us the ability to do so." Quite a few of the Hens nodded in agreement as Pearl and I stared at each other in horror. Just then the subject of the conversation walked in to the kitchen with a big smile.

Without missing a beat, Dee Dee embraced her long time friend, "Girl, we've been waiting for you."

At this point, even Pearl had enough of the craziness. She grabbed the bowl of fruit and practically dragged me from her kitchen towards the front of the house.

"Get me the fuck out of here," whispered Pearl. We both broke into a fit of laughter.

I know, I know...we need more Delia and Harry action. Trust me, it will happen. I just wanted to spend some more time talking about Pearl and how amazing she is. She is Delia's rock and regardless of any shenanigans concerning Beacon, there friendship will never falter. Also, the Hens....I'm telling you, you will hate them and love them. I would love to hear from you...votes and comments always appreciated. Love, Newgirl.