vi | The Commander

Start from the beginning

        I just rolled my eyes - a habit I’d picked up from studying the humans at the Inn - and placed my menu down as a waiter arrived to take our orders. “What can I get you?” he asked, pulling out a square pad of paper and a pencil.

        “I’ll have the Caesar Salad,” I said politely, and the waiter wrote that down quickly before turning to Cameron and taking his order. And once we’d both ordered he walked away, leaving us alone again.

        My eyes flickered over the restaurant quickly, taking in the unique yet simple beauty of it before refocusing on Cameron, and I was startled to see him watching me carefully. He smiled slightly behind his hands, but I could tell he was slightly embarrassed to have been caught staring as he cleared his throat awkwardly and his cheeks started to tint pink. And I took that moment as an opportunity to really look at him.

        He had a mop of chestnut coloured hair atop his head, and the most unique eyes I’d ever seen before. He had a handsome face and a certain authoritative air about him that I still couldn’t quite figure out. When I looked closely I could see dark bags beneath his eyes as if he’d been having trouble sleeping and now that I was paying attention I could see how tired and stressed he looked. But before he could notice my glances I looked away and out the large window.

        “So, how long are you planning to stay in Blowing Rock?” Cameron asked suddenly, making my eyes flicker up again.

        I shrugged. “I’m not sure yet. Actually, I’m not just here for travel.”

        He rose an eyebrow. “Really? Then what are you here for?”

        “I’ve been looking for someone,” I replied. “Multiple someones, actually. Perhaps you could help me find them?”

        “How can I help?” he questioned, folding his arms atop the table.

        “I need some help in locating a barn,” I answered. “Some of my mother’s uncles nephews relatives live there, or something.”

        “That’s confusing,” he smirked, making me smile slightly. “I can give you directions, if that would help.”

        “Thank you, Cameron,” I smiled gratefully. And I really was grateful. And yet, something about the way he refrained from asking a question told me he wasn’t buying the relatives tale. Then it hit me.

        “Wait, you know the barn I’m talking about? Big, red, probably out of the way of everything…” He seemed confused for a moment, then caught on.

        “Owned by Sam? Yeah, I know where it is.” How did he know? As far as I knew, Samanya was a recluse, someone who had nothing to do with the humans and helped protect us, our Guardian. But if what Cameron was saying was true, then I may have reason not to trust him.

        So I nodded, smiling at him. The waiter came back with a jug of ice cold water and two glasses. We thanked him, and Cameron poured. We sat in a calm silence, the world around us moving as of normal. Lunch went quickly. We made small talk every so often, but it seemed the two of us had a lot to think about.

        We exited the restaurant. The sun was blazing, the sky clear. People milled about the streets and shops, though it wasn’t overly busy.

        “To get to the barn, go back towards the inn, but don’t turn down there. Continue up the road until you find a dirt track. It’s more like a walking trail than anything,” he said, pointing towards the road to the inn. I looked up at him, mesmerized by him.

        Then I blinked, feeling myself blush. Smart move, Val. Really smart.

        “Valia? Are you listening?” Cameron asked, looking down at me. I nodded.

        “Thank you so much.”

        “No probs.” He smiled slightly, letting his eyes flicker over my features momentarily before he cleared his throat and turned in the opposite direction. “I’ll see you round.”

        I closed my eyes and inhaled a deep breath before setting off in the direction he’d pointed me in. I did as he said. I walked back towards the inn and turned on the small dirt track he’d described. The path was narrow and would only allow single file to walk along it. As I walked I inhaled the musty smell of the earth around me, loving how the slight breeze caressed my cheeks as I walked. I could feel my abilities soaring as I allowed the earth’s energies to surround me, but I didn’t dare open to it fully in case a human was to suddenly stumble across me.

        My legs carried me a short distance before I came to a fork in the track. Which way had Cameron said to go? Crap. Val, you idiot! If only you hadn’t been so absorbed in looking at him and had been paying attention.

        I decided to wing it and take the left trail. Hopefully it was the right one. I started jogging, eager to see the Commander. The trail turned sharply, and came to a large, rustic barn. It was well kept, the grass short with no weeds in sight, the barn itself both looking old and brand new.

        Samanya walked out from behind the barn, his clothing more human than the last time I’d seen him.

        He came up to me and bowed, shocking me. “Welcome, Miss Talin. I have been expecting you.” He turned and walked away, and I followed closely behind. Samanya showed me the way towards the communicator, a large, out of place tree. There was a gap in the middle, a hollowed out circle that I guessed served as the link to the Commander.

        I watched as Samanya activated the communicator. He dug his staff into a hole in the tree and suddenly a blue light flashed before my eyes and the hole was suddenly filled with an odd clear liquid. I narrowed my eyes at it until an image started to materialise before my eyes - the Commander.

        “Valia Talin,” he said through the illusion. “I had been expecting you sooner.”

        “I’m sorry, Commander,” I whispered. “I have learned much.”

        “Do go on,” he replied, assessing me with cold, unwavering eyes. I held my breath, almost afraid of what I was about to tell him. The images of that beast flashed before my eyes and I had to take a deep breath in.

        And then I told him everything, from the day I got there, to meeting Cam and Daniel, to the articles. I almost felt reluctant to share what had happened between Cameron and I, but the Commander did not seem to protest, he only made a small sound of unease, his eyes flickering to me briefly.

        When I stopped, he wrote a couple of more notes then set his pen down, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

        “Valia, have I ever told you how your sister died?” he asked. I paled, feeling nauseous. I shook my head. “She was doing the exact same thing as you. She got close to those boys.”

______________________________________________________

Look! Another quick update! Be happy, coz this doesn't happen often.

Anywho, please remember to vote, comment, read, stuff...

-Dee and Steph