"You can't tell me that sticking up for someone will make me an idiot," while Jake clearly wasn't the smartest, he wasn't an idiot. He knew he was doing the right thing, however, Marie had a lot of power in this school. 

"I mean it's your choice Jake, but I would hate for this is drift us apart, especially because you are so close to the college and my dad does really like you," Did she mention her father was the dean of one of the most pristine colleges in California? Jake sighed, he knew he lost this battle, he gave Nicole a sympathy look before Marie smirked. 

"As you can see your company isn't welcomed, we don't hang around... well you know," she said. Nicole stood there looking at them with confused eyes. "That's your cue to leave. Do you not speak English!" Stepping away slowly Nicole continued on her path, she could hear the murmurs of laughter and gossip, she couldn't take it, and as she walked she allowed the tears that have been lacing her eyes to fall free. 

:
:
:

When Nicole arrived home she opened her front door quickly drying her tears. She didn't want anyone to know the pain she was feeling. She didn't want to be even more of a problem then she already was. She couldn't do that to them. 

She tried to make her way up the stairs without being noticed, however, was stopped by the voice of her mother. 
"Nicole honey is that you?" She asked, obviously from the kitchen. She took a deep breath before answering. 

"Yeah, mom it's me!" She sounded as happy as ever, a mask. 

"How was school?" She asked, as she always did. Jasmine has been trying to connect with her daughter, trying to get her to open up, but even she noticed her closing up, not just on her but on the world. 

"It was fine," 

"Okay well dinner is almost ready, we will eat when your father gets home," She announced. 

"Okay mother," She answered before quickly walking to her room. She threw her bag to the floor and jumped into bed, all her tears suddenly falling out on her pillow. Why does it all have to happen to her? 

Downstairs, Jasmine was preparing dinner for seven. Something she has never done before. It was weird to think about. After many days of talking with Scarlett, Chris, and Brett, Jasmine finally found the strength to set a date for dinner and today was that day.

 Last night Chris and Scarlett flew down and texted her that they arrived at the hotel. Jasmine informed them that this was a surprise and they wouldn't be telling Nicole. As happy as everyone was, there was tension in their conversations. 

For Jasmine, she felt like she was giving someone else permission to take her daughter. But she also knew that this was something Nicole would appreciate, if not now then in the future. So she would do this. 

The evening went by too fast for her liking and Brett, Emma and Eric were sitting around the table. Scarlett had texted them earlier announcing they would be there in five minutes. 

"On a scale of one to ten, how bad do you guys think she will cry?" Eric asked as he messed with the fork and spoon Jasmine had neatly put out. 

"Nicole?" Emma asked. "One. Nicole doesn't cry." She pointed out. 

"Nah I know that I am talking about mom," Eric said with a smirk lacing her face. Emma let out a laugh but immediately tried to hide it with a glare when her father looked at her. At that, the doorbell rang. 

"Would you look at that our guest is here, I should get that," Emma said trying to leave the awkward situation. 

"Sit down," Jasmine said to her daughter. "NICOLE come down for dinner!" She yelled. Upstairs she heard the opening of her bedroom door. "Can you get the door?" 

"Sure mom!" Upstairs Nicole was making sure her face was no longer puffy and the tears were long gone. She had spent the last few minutes making sure she was presentable. She made sure to smile. A smile can hide so much pain. 

Nicole neared the door and started to even make herself believe the lie. Maybe if you lie enough the pain will seem like a distant universe. Is it possible to trick yourself into believing you are okay? 

She arrived at the door and her heart stopped when she opened the door. So much for pretending to be okay. 

A day earlier

Chris and Scarlett were currently looking for their bag at the airport after landing. They have been keeping their distance, and with Avengers done with filming, they didn't have to see each other every day. 

Scarlett was too nervous to bring up what had happened. Chris meant the world to her, but she didn't know if admitting what little emotions she felt for him, was worth jeopardizing their friendship. 

She also was feeling excited and happy about her time in Sunnyvale. After talking with Jasmine and Brett they got their plane tickets and basically jumped on a plane. 

Scarlett was determined to make things right with Nicole. If she couldn't be her full-time mother, she would be there for her when she truly needed her. Any type of relationship at this point made her incredibly excited.

"Look Scar," Chris said as he drove them to the hotel in their rented car. "I know you are excited for this week, but I was hoping we can make time for just us." 

"This trip isn't about us Chris, it's about Nicole, and I wanna be there for her. I didn't come here for you," She wanted to make it very clear what her intentions were for this trip. "You just need to forget about whatever it is that happened." 

"Forget about it? Scarlett, I can't forget about it!  Do you even understand how hard it's been that you have been ignoring me? I have left you messages, you haven't responded!" 

"Well, what do you want me to say, Chris?" She asked harshly. 

"an answer would be nice. I wanna know what it meant. I wanna know if it meant anything to you," He said. 

"That doesn't matter," She told him in a low voice, Chris closed his eyes as he parked in their parking space. 

"It matters to me," Scarlett didn't know what to say him. It wasn't worth talking about right now. She needed time and she was hoping he would appreciate that. 

"I need space, Chris. I don't wanna be fighting with you this week." She told him. "We are here for her. Our daughter. I will give you an answer just give me time. Please," She gave him that look that he couldn't deny. He just nodded his head and watched her leave the car. He had to respect her choices, but she was right this trip isn't for them, it's for Nicole. 

The next day, they had forgotten or at least pushed aside their conversation and Scarlett and Chris were once against friends. They were actors after all. Living this life of lies should be a bit easier. 
"Chris, how do I look?" You look gorgeous as always. 

"Scar I don't think she will care about what you are wearing," Chris said instead> Scarlett shook her head at his response. 

"No, I wanna impress her parents. This is like us proving we are worthy to be in Nicole's life, I wanna make sure everything goes according to plan, you know?" 

"Yeah of course," he nodded his head. Both of their hearts were beating as Chris gently pressed the doorbell. Scarlett was practically jumping out of her shoes. Chris, if he wasn't nervous as hell, would have laughed. This woman had a way of controlling his heart. He couldn't deny that he hoped she would give him a chance. 

Now he didn't know if she was aware of what she was doing but before the door opened she grabbed his hand. Chris looked down and smiled. This was progress. 

Slowly the door creaked open, and the smile on Scarlett's face couldn't have been any bigger. This was it. 

"Hi,"  

I know, I suck at updating, but hey today you got a new chapter! 

Don't forget to vote and leave a review! XO- Sierrea