Chapter 14

"Are you sure you don't need any help?" Stevonnie asked their friend as they continued to walk through the temple.

"I'm fine Stevonnie, I promise," Mari said yet again. Stevonnie felt bashful for continuing to ask if Mari was okay. In retrospect, they probably shouldn't have brought Mari with them. Who knows what type of monster or worse, what type of gem, could be responsible for their, almost, defusion. But at the same time, they were happy for Mari's companionship. To be honest they were scared... scared of almost splitting up again. At least with Mari with them, they could have some sort of tether to reality if anything were to go wrong.

"I'm sorry." Stevonnie finally said as they and Mari walked through the remains of what once was a beautiful temple, no reduced to glass shards and rubble.

"Hm? What for?" Mari asked, turning her head up towards Stevonnie.

"I.. shouldn't have brought you here..." Stevonnie said. Mari looked at them with surprise.

"What? Why?", she replied trying to keep walking speed with the tall fusion.

"This could more than likely be dangerous. What if that same thing that almost split me up attacks us, and I come undone? You could get hurt and.. I don't know what I'd do with myself if that happened. Ugh, I'm so impulsive! I should have just let you stay with Sadi, then at least if something were to happen to me-"

"Woah, Woah, Woah!" Mari cut off, grabbing Stevonnie by the hand, stopping them. Stevonnie looked down at the short blonde-green haired girl.

"No it's my turn to calm you down," she said with a crooked smile, taking the fusions other hand into her own. Stevonnie smiled back at her.

"Listen, even if you hadn't offered for me to go I still would have insisted I went. From what you told me it seems that this place really messed you up last time you were here. Even if you are two people, I wouldn't want you to go through that alone." Mari said, looking up to the fusion with a soft passion in her eyes.

"Besides, I'm stronger than I look. Don't let my height fool you!" she said, puffing her chest out and giving Stevonnie a wink. Stevonnie giggled at Mari's boldness, truly glad that Mari was with them. Mari looked up at Stevonnie as they giggled gleefully, a pounding in her chest as she looked up to the beautiful fusion. Their hair, a soft brown that cascaded into pink curls, bounced with every giggle and snort the produced. Mari's cheeks got warm as she continued to stare up at them with a love-struck devotion, Stevonnie's comforting grip tight on her hands.

"St-Stevonnie..." She finally managed in a voice soft and mouse like. Stevonnie opened their big brown eyes and looked down to Mari.

"Yes... Mari?" they asked. Mari, felt a sudden surge of bravery as she put herself on her tiptoes and pulled Stevonnie into a hug. Stevonnie was taken aback, their face heating up as Mari pull their shared body close to hers. A soft pounding came from Stevonnie's chest as they closed their eyes and hugged her back. A sudden soft white light engulfing Stevonnie and Mari as they embraced.

 *******  

Sup.

PS: Check out my new Fanfic, Someone Like Me