Chapter 6 - Confirmation

Start from the beginning

"Brandon-"

"See you at work, Em."

With that, he left, closing the door quietly behind him. Staring at the door for a long while I forced myself to move. My questions wouldn't be answered by concentrating on the closed door. If anything it only confused me more. I had no idea what just happened. It felt like Brandon confessed his feelings, but that couldn't be right. He was after all a serial dater, not once did he show any interest in me. It was probably my mind playing tricks. Not wanting to think about Brandon's weird behavior or Nick's sudden disappearance I forced myself to stay busy. I cleaned up the kitchen, making it shine so brightly it actually hurt my eyes. Reorganizing my closet I froze when my doorbell rang again. It couldn't be Brandon, he rushed out of the apartment only a few hours ago. Dropping the dress I wasn't sure to keep or to get rid off on my bed I made my way to the door and opened it, butterflies went crazy inside my stomach seeing Nick standing there. My eyes wandered to the paper bags he was holding. He let himself in, closing the door behind him while he kicked off his shoes.

"What are you doing here?" I asked quietly.

He walked past me, entering the kitchen. He felt comfortable enough to start searching the cupboards. He opened the paper bags and took out containers filled with food. He was setting up two plates, which told me that he came over to have lunch with me. I couldn't hide the relief anymore. It meant that Brandon was probably right. Nick did care and only rushed out because he didn't want to rush.

"Nick?" I asked again, sounding more impatient this time.

"Thought we could have lunch together." He handed me a plate.

"You couldn't stay away, could you?" I asked jokingly following him into the living room. I thought he'd brush my joke aside yet he stared directly at me, such an intense look in his piercing blue eyes that it caught me off guard.

"You were on my mind the entire morning, I had to come over. For my own sake."

Brandon was so right about him. It means his words in the car were no lies at all. I wanted Nick to say the words himself though, he needed to make it reality.

"So why did you run away last night?" I asked him carefully, "To be honest I had no idea what happened and wondered about it all day."

He placed his plate on the table in front of us, reaching for mine to put it away as well. When the plates were safely on the table, Nick grabbed onto my wrist and pulled me closer to him and before I could even blink his lips were firmly pressed against mine. Putting his hand behind my head he deepened the kiss, exploring and teasing me. Grabbing onto the front of his shirt to feel more grounded I kissed him back with everything I had. When Nick pulled away we were both of breath. I looked down at where my hands were clutching his shirt, quickly looking up to flash him an apologizing smile.

"Sorry, I think I ruined your shirt."

He made me release it and patted it down, smoothing it down as best as he could, "It doesn't matter." A small smirk spread across his face, "Let's eat."

We ate lunch in silence, watching a re-run of my favorite series. When we finished lunch Nick got to his feet, ready to get back to work. It was probably amazing to be your own because there was no one you needed to answer to. He bought us lunch and raced to my apartment because he felt like it. It sounded like the perfect job in the world, yet I knew only a few people were able to do it. The pressure of hundreds of people depending on you along with the fact to keep being innovative to be on top of your competition, I could never do it. I knew it also bothered him to be nice to people who didn't give a fuck about.

"Are you coming over later?"

My words made him freeze. His back was turned to me so I couldn't see his face, but I knew I caught him off guard with that question. He slowly turned around, it was like the scene in a horror movie where the killer was revealing his or her face to the victim.

"You want me to come over tonight?

"I thought we were on the same page about this."

He narrowed his eyes at me, "We are." He stepped closer to me, "We are on the same page about us. I enjoy being around you and I know it's the same for you." He closed in on me and cupped my face in his hands, "If that idiot didn't ruin things we would have done this the normal way, you know. I would have come over and asked you on a proper date. Now it feels to you like I was more or less forced by that idiot to ask you out."

I grabbed onto his arm, "That's not it-"

"Emily, we're in this together." He told me firmly, "Don't doubt that."

"Okay."

He released me and held his hand out to me which confused the hell out of me. What did he want me to do? Grab it? Shake it?

"Hand me your key."

"Isn't it too early to exchange keys?" I asked jokingly though I was only half joking, it was definitely too early for me to hand over my key to him yet there was also a part of me who didn't seem to care, she wanted to do whatever Nick asked of her. That part of me scared me, "We had our first date last night you know."

He straightened his stance, making him appear to be ten feet even though he was probably around six-ish. He was a head taller than me so he always hovered over me, but still. He intimidated me, using his built along with that scary icy look in his eyes to get his way.

"I have a business dinner to attend to. I don't know when it's finished, I don't want to wake you if I do end up coming here late."

"Nick, you don't need to force yourself if you don't have the time." I hated how disappointed I sounded, I wanted to stand firmer in my shoes, yet I couldn't pretend when it came to the man standing across me.

"Emily, shut up and hand me your key already."

I walked to the cupboard by the TV and took the spare key to give it to Nick. Holding the key out to him, I stepped back when he reached for it. Smirking when he narrowed his piercing blue eyes on me.

"If you are going to show up late, don't wake me," I told him.

"Fine, I'll push you aside and sleep in your bed instead."

I placed the key in his hand, not being able to hide my smile, "Later."

Putting the key in his inner jacket pocket as he leaned down and kissed me softly on the lips, "Later."

With that, he turned on his heels and left the apartment. I finished organizing my closet, cleaning the apartment with a big stupid grin on my face the entire time. Nick was having dinner with his business associate so I didn't have to make him anything. Being lazy I made myself a spicy cup ramen, watching re-runs of my favorite series. When it was getting close to ten I decided not to wait for Nick any longer and got ready for bed. Slipping into bed, I drifted off almost immediately, Sometime later the feel of the bed moving and strong arms wrapping around me was what woke me.

"Night, Emily."

Smiling I snuggled closer to the warmth behindme and closed my eyes again, "Night, Nick."