•chapter 1•rain•(prologue)•

The iron-tinted stench of rusty playground equipment overwhelms your senses. The other kids play on the swings and run around in the mud. You watch from your perch in a nearby tree which provides you with shade and comfort on the hot summer day. You close your eyes and breathe a deep sigh. You're not like the other kids at the orphanage; most of them have lived here their entire lives, and don't remember the pain of losing their home. But for you, the day you watched your parents turn their backs on you for the last time is still fresh in your mind as if it had happened yesterday. You don't understand how the other kids can be so carefree, and you envy them.
All of a sudden, the clouds that have been gathering overhead let loose and a heavy rain begins to fall. The caretaker supervising you and the other orphans raises their voice and cups their hands in a microphone shape against their mouth. They yell so that all the kids can hear that it's time to go inside. Carefully, you begin to lower yourself from the branch you are seated on.
But the bark on the tree is too slippery to provide a reliable foothold, and your right knee lands hard on the ground when you plummet to the earth. Biting your lip, you feel tears gather in your eyes and blink fast as you try to wipe away the blood running down your calf as it mixes with the rain. Your parents' leaving no longer occupies your mind as you are consumed by the seemingly unbearable pain in your injured leg. All the pain, physical and emotional, is threatening to push you over the edge.
Just when you're sure that everybody forgot about you and went inside, you hear footsteps running toward you, and a shadow falls over your small frame. A tiny pale hand reaches toward you in an invitation to grab it. Looking up, the first thing you notice about the boy is his unique violet and golden eyes. He looks serious, his eyebrows drawn in worry. "You're okay now," he says as you gratefully take his hand. "I'm Atsushi. You must be new here. What's you're name?" He asks.
Instead of answering, you look down, blushing. You're in too much pain to speak right now, and besides that, you're embarrassed by the pathetic first impression you're making. Sniffling, you shudder, fighting with all your might to hold back the waterworks. The boy must have noticed, because his expression changes into one of concern and pity. "It's okay to cry," he says quietly.
Upon his invitation, you bury your face in your hands and unleash the tears you've been holding back until you're sobbing. Why is life so cruel? You miss your old life, and you miss your parents, and you don't understand why they left you. On top of that, the pain in your knee is overwhelming for a child of your age. Through your tears you see Atsushi pretending to look away, obviously uncomfortable. He makes no attempt to walk away, even though all the others are already inside by now. For that you are thankful.
About a minute passes, and both your crying and your bleeding have subsided. Awkwardly, Atsushi ventures, "Are you ready to go inside now?" You nod shyly, still sniffling, and the two of you return into the orphanage building.
Your caretaker runs up to the both of you and hugs you as soon as you walk in. "Where were you guys? Everyone was so worried! I was just about to go out looking for you." The two of you apologize for causing worry. Turning their attention to you, they ask, "Are you okay? It looks like you were crying."
"No," you answer, wiping the last few tears from your cheeks, "I wasn't." The boy gives you a strange look. "It's probably just water from the rain."

•••

     It's been two years since your adoption and you've been as happy as can be. You've had everything you could ever ask for: parents who love you and treat you like their real daughter, a nice home, and all the food you could possibly need. You used to feel constant contempt and sadness towards your birth parents who left you, but they haven't even crossed your mind for years. These were happy times; you appreciated life at the orphanage, but it was nothing compared to the luxury of having a family of your own. The only drawback to this life was being homeschooled. You had few friends and often thought of how much you liked playing with Atsushi at the orphanage. But such thoughts made you feel guilty; after all, this life was all you could have ever asked for.
     So, you were kind of confused by the current situation. You were never a troublemaker, yet somehow you had managed to find yourself in a heavily guarded police vehicle making its way across town from the police department. Your parents, who had spent the last four years building a relationship with you, did not hesitate to leave you in the city's care as soon as your ability first appeared. Who could blame them? To tell the truth, you were quite terrified yourself. Just this morning, you were normal. But now, you were some strange kind of superhuman that you didn't even know existed.
     "We're here," The gruff-looking officer sitting next to you announces, ushering you out of the car with a gun pointed at your back. You see an unassuming building before you, which you assume is your destination. The officers escorting you bring you into the building and up a few levels before saying "she's all yours" and exiting away a little too fast.
All eyes are on you in the small inconspicuous office and you begin to sweat. "Um, hi... I'm (Y/N)..."
And that is how you became a member of the infamous Armed Detective Agency.