FOUR

Grace stands beside Bellamy at the mouth of the cave, the silence between the two thick and uncomfortable

Grace stands beside Bellamy at the mouth of the cave, the silence between the two thick and uncomfortable. Neither knew what to say to comfort the other and with the group behind them, it wasn't likely that they would talk about today's events until they got back to their shared room.

Grace was worried about Clarke. She had missed her friend, even convinced herself that she was fine out there on her own for the longest time, but with the news of Clarke being hunted, she couldn't help but be scared for her. Clarke had always managed to get herself out of trouble, but what if she couldn't this time? The thought made Grace feel ill.

She had pushed all thoughts of her father into the back of her head. Later, when Clarke was safe and they were back in Arkadia, Grace would think about Lewis. Until then, he was the least of her worries.

Bellamy glances at his girlfriend, jaw clenching at the concern barely hidden on her features. With an angry shake of his head, he turns around and marches towards Kane. "We're losing her."

Kane doesn't even glance up at the man. "Relax," he says. "Save your energy."

"Kane's right, son," Pike agrees. "The army will move soon. You'll need your energy for what comes next."

Bellamy hesitates, then nods. He makes a move to stand behind Grace, a short breath of air billowing out of his mouth. She turns to him, frowning at the sigh. She doesn't know what to say to him, and even if she did this would be the worst possible time to say it, so all she does is take his hand in hers. He squeezes her hand in answer.

Monty makes his way across the cave to his mother. He crouches down so he's face-level with her. "I need to know what happened."

Bellamy tenses at the change of conversation, clenching Grace's hand as she sends him a cautious look. She knows that Monty is referring to the death of his father, but also knows that there is nothing she can do to help him right now. He wants to know what happened, and he won't be able to grieve until he does.

"Monty--" Hannah begins.

"Please," Monty whispers, grabbing his mothers hand in his. He holds it tightly as a comfort for both of them. Grace averts her eyes, feeling that this is a private moment for the family.

Hannah's eyes grow watery and distant as she recalls her husband's final moments. "We landed in the snow," she begins. Bellamy steps toward her, wanting to hear what she says. Grace stays in her spot. Hannah only looks at her son. "Your father said it absorbed some of the impact. That's why we survived. The snow looked so beautiful, it-- Charles?"

Hannah is too choked up to continue. Pike stands up, holding a sombre expression as he begins. "The children were playing in it." He sits in front of Monty. "They were the first to die... fifteen of them. If not for your father, would've been more."