Max felt helpless. The thought of Billy came back to her.

Mr. Murdock: And we are also going to have to talk to Miss Hopper about this.

Max: NO! Please dont. She doesnt know. No one does. Just please. Call my parents. Just dont tell El.

     They both sat in silence for a few moments. Thoughts raced through her mind. She was terrified. It felt like an elephant sat on her chest. 

Mr. Murdock: On top if that, Ms. Mayfield, I am going to have to suspend you for this behavior.

Max: Seriously!? All because of one stupid paper?

Mr. Murdock: Yes. One paper that you turned into your teacher. That's inappropriate behavior here at Hawkins High. So you'll be out of school for five days. Go get your stuff from your locker and go home Max.

     Max got up from the chair and walked out of the office. She was going to be stuck at home for five days with a brother who hates her and her parents, who are going to hate her after they get the call tonight. She threw her stuff in her locker, then wrote a note to Will saying that she left early. She slipped it into his locker and left. Max decided to take her skateboard and go to the arcade. It was a chilly day as it approached winter. She started skating through the school parking lot and went down the street. She was stuck not seeing her friends in school. No Will. No El. No one. She zipped up her hoodie as she rode down the street. She got to the arcade and walked inside. Because school was still in session, not a lot of people were there. There were a couple of guys who had no life huddled around Dungeon Quest. Nerds, Max thought. She walked over to the Dig-Dug machine and slipped a quarter into the slot. She began to play.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     A few hours passed and the whole gang was there.

Max: Well guys. I have to face it. My parents are going to hate me. I shouldn't have been smoking in the bathroom. Now I have to pay the price.

     That was the lie Max came up with. She couldnt let them know. Will was supposed to be the only one to know but now her parents know, and possibly Billy.

Dustin: I just never took you as a smoker, Max.

Mike: Yeah. But I guess that's your own thing. You do you.

Max: Yeah. I guess.

     Suddenly, the person that was working the arcade register walked up to the group.

Worker: Is there a Max over here?

Max: Um, yeah. That's me.

Worker: You have a phone call in the office.

     Max was confused. Who would call her at the arcade? She walked back with the worker and walked into the small backroom, which the arcade turned into a lounge/office. The worker pointed to the phone and walked out to give her some privacy. Max picked up the phone and answered.

Max: Hello?

Voice: Maxine. We need to talk.

Max: Mom? I..Uh....What about?

     She knew what her mom was going to bring up.

Helen: I got a call from your principal.

Max: Oh.

Helen: Me and your father...your stepfather, think that it would be better if you dont come home.

Max: What are you saying mom?

Helen: We dont except that kind of behavior in our household. We dont want you to come home.

     Max started to cry.

Max: So...you're gonna kick me out because I'm gay?

Helen: Yes. You're disgusting Max. An absolute disgrace to this family.

Max: Your own fucking daughter? You know what, Helen. FUCK YOU!

     Max slammed the phone and collapsed to the floor. She couldnt contain herself. She sobbed. She didnt have a family anymore. They just threw her out like trash. Just because she was lesbian. She hated herself for it. An hour or so went by before she heard a knock on the office door.

Voice: Max? You alright in there?

Max: Who is it?

Voice: Its Will.

Max: You can come in.

     Will opened the door and walked into the office. Max ran up and hugged him. She cried on his shoulder.

Max: My mom said to not come home. They kicked me out.

Will: All because of you smoking. I highly doubt that. What really happened?

Max: I accidentally turned in a paper that had hearts and El's name all over it. I fucked up.

Will: That's terrible. I'm so sorry Max. But what are you going to say to the guys out there?

     Max hadn't thought of that. She couldnt tell them that she liked El. She could possibly get away with being lesbian, but liking on of their own? And Lucas thinks they're dating still. It would cause a huge mess. But then again, she had to at some point.

Max: Will. I need you to tell them that I left.

Will: But wont they ask why?

Max: Just do it. I'll go out the back. But wait. Damn. I left my skateboard out front.

Will: I'll grab it for you.

Max: No. It's alright. They would get suspicious. Just tell them I didn't feel good.

Will: Okay. But where will you go?

Max: I'm going to try and get clothes from my house. I'll sneak in my bedroom window. I'll be fine. Thanks Will.

Will: No problem. See you later.

     Max walked out of the office and to the back door. She took one glance back and waved a sullen goodbye to Will. She walked out into the chilly night and began to walk towards her house. The streets were dark and the wind howled. The trees waved like shadows in th dark. It gave Max that eerie feeling like she had last year when the gang fought off the Demo-Dogs. Back when life was somewhat normal to her. She walked and walked, constantly thinking about what had happened. She was homeless. Neglected. Alone. That word haunted her. She was scared of being alone. She always had someone near her to talk to when she needed to. But now she had nothing. Only the gang. But she never talked about her feelings to them like she did with her mom. She continued walking and moved to the side of the road as a car approached. It passed her and she kept walking. She thought of El. How much she cared for her. But she screwed up. How could she be so blinded. She felt like an idiot. Suddenly, the roar of a familiar engine sounded in the distance. Max froze. The headlight shone on her back as she stood there, motionless, breathless. The engine revved and she heard the tires squeal against the pavement. The slcar started racing towards her at full speed. Max ran as fast as she could. The car was getting closer and closer. Max couldnt control the tears as she ran. She knew what was about to happen if she didnt get away. The car picked up more speed and had its eyes set on Max. Max dove to the side of the road as the car flew past. She hit her head on a rock as she landed. Her vision began to blur as she lay there, with the car engine still roaring. The '79 Camaro pulled up next to her and idled. The car door swung open and a figure of a tall man with a mullet stepped out. A cigarette was flicked away from him and he took a step closer.

Voice: You're truly fucked now, you little dyke.

     Max's mind faded to black.