Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

Brie had to be that tough now. While she still could not remember every detail of her life before becoming Faugrimm‘s captive, she remembered enough to know that she had been born an alpha’s daughter.

She would have one day been alpha female if she hadn’t given that up for Nickolai and so she knew she had the potential to be strong. To be brave.

“We’re not leaving. Not yet. First we want to have a little fun.”

Brie shook her head and motioned with her gun toward the woods. “We’ll let you all go peacefully. No one needs to be hurt.”

The lead wolf laughed.

“That would be where you are wrong.” he taunted. “People are going to be hurt tonight. Very hurt.”

He twitched his hand, a movement barely visible, and yet powerful enough to send the four wolves beside him, leaping through the air, shifting as they went.

Brie heard Farrah growl with rage and she was faintly aware of the werelion shifting and leaping forward as well. Brie let out a blast from the shot gun, hearing one of the wolves whimper loudly and then the rest were upon her.

***

Maggie awoke with a start at the loud booming sound that suddenly filled the silent bedroom.

She smelled smoke, gun smoke, and then she smelled wolves that she hadn’t ever smelled before. Creed began to cry in his cradle and Maggie could hear growling, terrible growling, outside the cabin.

She smelled blood as well.

Where was her mommy? Trembling with fear Maggie ran to her mothers bed but the woman wasn’t there. She went to the cradle and covered Creed with his blanket, patting the tiny boy on the back to calm him and somehow, despite the smells and noises, the boy fell back to sleep.

Maggie was scared. She crept from the bedroom, scanning the dark cabin for any sign of her mommy or Farrah.

“Mama?” she called out but no one answered her.

Maggie went to the window and pulled back the corner of the curtain, barely holding back her scream of fear when she saw the fight happening outside.

She recognized her mommy, a white wolf. There two other wolves, they were boy wolves, and they were biting her. Something red was covering her mommies white fur and Maggie realized it was blood.

There was a werewolf just standing in the yard watching as Maggie’s mommy battled the two wolves and Farrah battled two more. He still looked like a man, he hadn’t shifted, and he was smiling.

Maggie felt anger building up within her tiny chest. Her mommy was hurt and bleeding. Her aunt Farrah was hurt too and to top it off Creed had begun to cry again.