Chapter Fifteen

Despite Brendon’s growing uneasiness and his feeling that someone was watching the trio, they made their way safely into the Tennessee town a few days later.

Brendon wanted to be relieved that they had finally arrived and he would soon be away from Ella and the temptation that she provided for his body. Instead all he felt was a dread. A big ball of dread lodged deep in his gut.

It twisted and burned as he drove the wagon down the crowded main street and toward the Grand Hotel where they would be staying tonight. Tomorrow he would find Ella a house. It would be easy with her powers of persuasion to convince someone that she was a long lost cousin. That would give her a bit of acceptance in this town. And if necessary they could use those same powers to convince someone to give her their home.

While that wouldn’t be the honorable thing to do, Brendon was learning that there were very few lines that he wouldn’t cross in order to make sure Ella was safe. Whether he had meant for her to or not, there was one simple truth that he couldn’t deny….

She mattered.

She mattered in ways that no person had ever mattered before her and Brendon was certain that no person would ever matter again.

Too bad that wouldn’t change what had to happen. He had to leave her here. He had to insist that they never see each other again. He had to take Maggie to Grange and then he had to return to the council. His life, and Ella’s, depended upon him going back to life as if Ella had never existed.

“Are we staying there?” Maggie asked, her tiny voice full of wonder as she stared, wide-eyed, at the five story hotel. It was quite easily one of the fanciest buildings that Brendon had ever stayed in and he had known that Maggie, who had never slept on anything other than cots and bedrolls, would love it.

“Yes we are.” Brendon replied as he brought the wagon to a stop beside one of the broad polished wooden posts that held up the vaulted ceiling of the wraparound porch.

“Wow….” Maggie gasped. “Ella, have you ever stayed in a place so pretty?” Brendon saw Ella’s eyes pass over the polished woods, ladies and gentleman wearing fancy clothes and hats and shook her head.

“No, I haven’t.” she replied honestly.

“It must cost a fortune!” Maggie added with a smile. Brendon found himself chuckling as he jumped from the wagon. He took Maggie by the waist and lifted her down, setting her on her feet gently.

“Anything for my ladies.” he replied without thinking as he grabbed Ella’s waist and lifted her down as well. Her body brushed against his and Brendon’s instantly responded. His grip tightened a little around her and her hands instantly when to the hard muscles flexing in his upper arms. Her touch seemed to burn him, brand him, even through the fabric of his shirt and coat.

He quickly put her down and turned his back on her to avoid looking in those light green eyes that he knew would be darkening with the same passion and lust that he was feeling.

Maggie was giggling.

“Ella, did you hear that? He called us his ladies.” Brendon felt a pain in his chest, was that his heart? And was it breaking? He hadn’t thought his heart cared enough about anyone to break. Perhaps it was just those beans he had eaten for dinner the night before.

He nodded. The beans must be the culprit. Brendon had a heart that had never been taught how to work and he was sure it was too old to start now.

He took the ladies inside and requested two rooms with adjoining doors.

He then led the way down the wide hallway, his boots moving silently on the plush carpet as he walked.

“Here’s your room.” he told them as he opened a heavy door and led them into a room, larger than any hotel room he had ever been in before. A wide doorway led out to a balcony and just across from that was a wide four post bed complete with a canopy.