chapter two

The toddler held the young man's shirt, "Let them enter first, daddy.."

The young man's expression seemed to be a little bit off as he bent down to the toddler's level, "How many times should daddy told you to not address daddy that way? We're at the public." He was half whispering, half scolding her. But I still managed to catch them, wow.

"Pft, how can you even let someone that rude to enter first." I smirked and mumbled to myself, seems like it was a little bit too loud since the young man faced me. He stood up, "Mind to repeat them again?"

"What? Did I say something wrong? If it's true that you're her father, you won't scold her for calling you 'daddy' in the public. Don't tell me that you only allow her to call you that in home. If you do, you're not even classified enough to be a father." I said and faked a sweet smile again, "You should just put her to an adoption if you dislike her, or dislike to be called that way in public."

"I-"

"You don't even have the basic to be someone responsible. How can you enter the room first before she does? Is this what you call a father?"

The nurse tried to butt in, "Miss please lower your voi-"

"No, I'm not going to. He should get ashamed with his behavior. How can he make his own daughter feels like that? As if she has no father? At this rate, she might feel like she doesn't have either both father or mother."

"Miss! Stop now, it's pretty rude."

"Am I? I'm spending my time here bringing my friend's brother to have his teeth get check up, where I probably might found a job for now if I continue my haunting in finding some jobs. If you think you're the only one who's running out of time, I'm too. I'm much more worser than you!" I raised my voice.

I stayed silent afterwards when I was aware with the cold atmosphere. I took a deep breath, inhaling and exhaling.

"Are you done?"

I blinked my eyes, "W-What?"

"I asked you, are you done? It's already 12:02PM. So I guess I can enter first?" He said before entering the room with his 'daughter'.

"Y-You!"

"Yewon noona, it's enough." Hyunwoo comforted me and brought me back to sit. I tried to stay calm and looked away from Hyunwoo, not wanting to make any eye contact with his. It's awkward for me, I don't know why.

"I'm sorry.. I'm sorry if I stole your time where you supposed to search for jobs.." Hyunwoo said softly.

I closed my eyes for a while and bit my lower lips, I shouldn't spit out everything like that. Now, I made Hyunwoo feels guilty. I turned to face him, "No, it's okay. I'm just not thinking straight since I'm very desperate in searching for jobs in these days."

"I'm sorry.."

"No, don't be. I'll bring you to the arcade soon, alright? I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have say such things. I'm just too tired on everything."

Hyunwoo nodded and said, "Then.. Can I help Yewon in searching for jobs?" I nodded and smiled, caressing his hair.

 Can I help Yewon in searching for jobs?" I nodded and smiled, caressing his hair

"Damn.. The arcade is closed today," Hyunwoo sighed and looked at me. I looked at him back and smiled, "Don't let your spirit down. We still have the toy shop! We can buy your collection of Star Wars!"

"Let's go!" Hyunwoo grabbed my wrist and dragged me to the nearby toy shop. We were welcomed by lots of toys as soon as we entered the shop.

"I'll go look for the toy I wanted to buy!" Hyunwoo said; before waiting for my response, he already went to search for one. I shook my head and slightly chuckled before walking around the place.

When I walked to this one corner, I saw a toddler sitting on the floor, holding a dinosaur shaped toy and silently cried. I approached her and bent down to her level, "Hey kid, are you alright?"

The toddler looked up to face me and eh, she's the toddler back then! The one with the other one who probably her "father". "Oh, it's you!"

She only sniffed and continued to cry. I widened my eyes and shook my head, "No no, don't cry. Eonnie won't hurt you."

"Eonnie sure?" She asked and turned to me back as I reassured her with a smile and nodded. "Now tell eonnie, why are you here alone, crying? Where is your so-called-father?"

"Left.."

"What? Left? He left you?! He's too much!" When I was about to stand up, she held my arm and shook her head.

"He doesn't left.. I left." I blinked my eyes, "Y-You left..?"

She nodded and hugged her legs more tighter, "I left the car.. Da- He promised to me that-"

"You can call him daddy if you want to, there's no one around. It's only me and you," I said and reassured her with a sweet smile.

She slightly nodded before continuing, "Daddy promised to me that he'll buy a new toy if we went to the checkup.. We did but daddy broke his own promise.. He said he has some business to deal with so I ran away from daddy before entering the car.. I want Theo to have more friends! I don't want him to be lonely.."

"Tell me love, who's this Theo you're talking about?" I asked and tilted my head, still slightly smiling to her so she can be a little bit calm around me.

"This one!" She showed me the dinosaur shaped toy, I don't know what type of dinosaur but I do know that it's a dinosaur.

"Nice to meet you, Theo. Do you want more friends?" I asked to the toy as the toddler replied in a harsh tone, trying to match with a dinosaur's tone, "Yes!"

I giggled and caressed her hair, slowly get into my deep thoughts. Somehow, this Theo toy resembles the toddler a lot. It seems like the toddler is the one who needs friends, not Theo.

I chose to sit next to her, "Do you mind if you tell me what's your name?"

"The name is Kim Haneul! But shush," She put her index finger on her lips, which is very cute. I slightly giggled and did the same thing, "Shush?"

She nodded, "Daddy told me to not tell anyone my name. But since eonnie seems like a cool person, and the fact that I like eonnie a lot, I decided to tell you my name!"

I nodded as she continued to play with her toy, Theo. I asked, "Why did your daddy doesn't like the idea of calling him 'daddy' at the public?"

"Daddy said that once people know about me, they'll hate me.. I don't want to get hatred, it's terrifying." She shook her head.

I nodded and stayed silent. She's too poor.. Not that 'poor' in financial way, but how she gets treated in this world. I'm sure she wishes to tell the world that she has a father, that shOulD'vE doNe A bEtTer jOb aS oNe.

— • 👨‍👧 • —