Chapter 2: Burning the Bacon

2.

Burning the Bacon

Wednesday, August 9TH, 2015

Emily looked over to her phone, which read; you have 7 New Voicemails, 8 Missed Calls, and 133 Unread Text Messages. Scarlette always text-bombed Emily when she didn’t answer her. Emily didn’t even bother to read or listen to the calls and texts, she just cleared her notification bar.

“Emily!” Mrs. Crow called from the kitchen.

“Yes mom?!” Emily screamed.

“Some cute boy is at the door for you.” She called.

“Ugh, I’ll be down in a second.” Emily knew it was either Will or Stefan. She went to her mirror to brush her teeth and fluff her hair. Emily rushed downstairs and saw Will sitting at the kitchen bar and socializing with her mother. She was shocked that he was here, not shocked, actually, curious. “Uhmm, hi…” Emily said.

“Mornin’ sleepyhead.” Mrs. Crow sipped her coffee. Emily stared at her mother and rolled her eyes, as she motioned for her to leave. “Oh fine, I’ll give you two some privacy, watch the bacon.” She smiled as she headed for the gold spiral staircase.

Emily looked to make sure her mother was fully up the staircase and then she abruptly turned to Will and asked him “What?” Will looked at Emily’s hair in its

poofy ponytail. He grabbed her hand and started gently caressing it with his other hand.

“I wanted to talk to you about last night.” He lifted his hazel eyes to meet with hers and tried to persuade her into agreeing with a smoldering look.

“Well…” Emily noticed what he was doing, she was tired of being played with like a chew toy. Men just thought that they could control women with one little phrase or look. Well, Emily wasn’t standing for it. “Well. I don’t… I feel terrible for Scar.” Emily covered her slip-up. Emily’s phone began to ring and Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke began to fill the room. Emily picked up the phone and looked at the picture of her and Scarlette with the hot Canadian they met on their summer trip to Canada last year. She quickly silenced the ringer so she could continue her conversation, uninterrupted.

“Blurred Lines,” Will chuckled quietly. “Nice touch.” He grabbed Emily’s phone and noticed that it was Scarlette calling. “Well, if you feel so bad, then why are ignoring her calls, and texts, and voicemails?” Will interrogated.

“Ugh, snoop much?” Emily snatched her phone from Will’s hand and put in her back pocket. She looked down to the ground, admitting that she didn’t feel terrible about it for the sake of Scarlette. She brushed some hair behind her ear and sighed.

“Why do you feel so bad anyways?” Will wondered. “She’s the one who stole your boyfriend.”

“Well, thanks for ripping off that bandage…” Emily scoffed. Will noticed that he shouldn’t have said that and he grabbed Emily’s hand and began pleading.

“I’m really sorry, I shouldn’t have said that, but I like you a lot Emily, and I want to stop moping over this douche bag of a loser and get what you really deserve.”

Emily scoffed and slowly pulled her hand away. “And I suppose that’s you?” She shook her head at Will’s cliché move. “And besides, it was one kiss, 14 hours ago, you can’t possibly believe you’re ‘the one’ for me.”

Will took a deep breath about to pour his feelings for her out. “I’ve liked you ever since that night at the Freshman Winter Wonderland Dance, when Stefan paraded through the crowd with you around his arm, I couldn’t help but feel a little jealous. He had the girl that I thought was beyond gorgeous since the eighth grade, tied around his little finger---“