As the void inside him started to close, just a fraction, he turned towards the fight. His life was always one fight after the next, since he was eighteen years old. Looking back at the war he faced in the 1940's, this... This seemed so different. Aliens. Thanos. Infinity Stones. He shifted his gun to a comfortable position and took one deep breath. The woman in the red garb nodded towards him encouragingly.

And out he walked onto another battlefield. Another fight. Only this time he had Sam Wilson flying above him, Wakanda's army rallying next to him, and he had Steve in front of him. Whether he lived or died, Bucky decided, this was going to be his last fight.

The onslaught was headed towards him, an army raging behind him with more determination to end this fight. Without any more hesitation, Bucky began to run, his pace keeping up with the best soldiers of Wakanda with ease -he could outrun them if he wanted to, but fighting together would make them stronger. Before he knew it, his finger was on the trigger, firing into the grey masses before him. It was easy to know who to shoot and who not to shoot. There was no chance of friendly fire on this battlefield.

Looking up, Bucky watched as Wanda Maximoff flew through the air -he remembered O really liked her. A six-armed alien went to leap for her, and Bucky raised the gun, unloading a clip into the things chest and head area. It collapsed to through ground – Wanda didn't notice, her focus was steadily on Thanos before her.

Bucky saw the look in Wanda's eyes. That hatred beyond most people's understanding. It was the same hatred that Bucky felt for Tony back in Siberia. It was that same hatred that Tony felt for Bucky when he discovered he murdered both his parents. It was hatred that caused so much chaos, so much fighting. But Wanda earned that right, to have that hatred for Thanos.

They all did.

Bucky didn't have a chance to breathe, to pause. There was so much chaos all around them. He spotted the talking raccoon, the two of them once again backed into a corner, surrounded by aliens as they shot through them. Bucky wouldn't admit it out loud, but he was impressed by the creature -he held his own, despite being small. And a raccoon.

The spaceship hovering ominously above them began its assault. As Wanda had Thanos in her grips, this time not overpowered by him as he did not have the stones, Thanos unleashed his arsenal on them. The ships canons aimed down at the already desecrated battlefield.

Bucky watched as the field, both offence and defense cowered and shielded themselves from the assault. The raccoon leapt towards his tree friend, covering him. Wanda raised her powers above her, but not in time as she flew through the air. The ones in red raised their hands and created shields up above. Bucky looked around for someone to cover -a part of him wanted to be hit, so he could have that peace again. A blast landed beside him and he flew through the air, landing on his side as a few bits of debris crumbled over top of him. For a moment, he lay there wondering if this was it.

Would Thanos win again?

But the fight was not over. The canons raised to the sky and Bucky heard Sam's voice -like a beacon of hope. "What the hell are they firing at?"

Bucky looked up above, raising his hand over his eyes to prevent the dust and debris from falling into his eyes. A brilliant yellow light appeared in the sky and then ripped through the massive ship. It tore right through it, coming in one side and ripping through the other side. Again and again it pierced through the ship until it collapsed into the lake, water rushing over the edges.

The war was balanced again.

Bucky scrambled to his feet, looking around to see if there was anyone injured who needed help. Many of the dead around him were from the other side; they didn't have the same support that their side did. The same togetherness.

Spotting Wanda, Bucky hopped over a chunk of foundation, rebar and wires sticking out of it. He got to her, reaching his hand down and offering it to her. A look of familiarity crossed her eyes and she smiled up at him, extending her hand. Gripping it, he pulled her to her feet.

"You're one of our best shots again him," Bucky told her sincerely. He had no chance against Thanos. How could he? But Wanda, she was filled to the brim with power and potential.

"Me, and her," Wanda said as she pointed towards the woman taking the gauntlet with the infinity stones from the kid -the one Bucky faced in the airport in Leipzig. Peter?

"I'll see you at the end of this," he said, though he wasn't sure.

Wanda glanced at him sympathetically -she understood his pain, and understood that whether or not they made it out of this at the end didn't matter to either of them. She took off, and Bucky turned back to what was left around him. The fight seemed all directed now at the group of women fighting to protect that gauntlet, to get it back through the time portal and return the stones.

As Bucky used the last of his ammunition, as he had nothing left aside from the strength in his body, the fight suddenly came to an end. Just like that, Thanos's entire army began to turn to dust just as they had. Watching them fade made Bucky pause and reflect. They won, they brought everyone who vanished five years ago back. The Avengers did what they said they would, what they always did. But at what cost?

As Bucky dared get closer, he saw the cost.

Tony Stark.

He wished he could have apologized, but then his thoughts trailed to Ophelia and he couldn't bring himself to do it. Instead, he looked away, took a seat on the destroyed foundation of the Avengers Facility, and wondered what was supposed to happen now? 

 Instead, he looked away, took a seat on the destroyed foundation of the Avengers Facility, and wondered what was supposed to happen now?