"Really? Based off your tone I believe you would give a shit."

One thing that could make me uncomfortable was walking the sidewalks of New York City with paparazzi following you. Strangers looked around for the source of celebrity and once they spotted them they snuck odd glances, hoping you didn't stare. It was uncomfortable enough to make me trip over my own feet because I felt so self-conscious.

"Whatever."

"Look, just be at my place at 6. I have someone who can work wonders on you."

"No."

"Don't ruin my dreams of turning us into a fashionable power couple now!" Jokes. But I knew Ashton would take it critically and get upset, only to succumb.

"I'll just go with you back to your place, since I have nothing better to do than be a Ken doll."

-

The nice thing about change was having my mom with me again, figuratively. Dad was away most of the time now on business trips and mom found no reason to stay at home by herself when she could be here helping me and enjoying the city. With the extra space in the new apartment, I'd be more than happy to take in my whole immediate family.

"Hi momma." I shouted into the area as Ashton and I entered.

"T!" Mom appeared from out of nowhere, kissing my cheek with Jack swung on her hip. "And Ashton...?" She adjusted the baby with an uncertain expression towards Ashton. Ashton was the last person all of us were expecting to see after three months.

"Hi Lena." Ashton smiled. For the first time today it wasn't a strained and phony smile, it was genuine. Oh god, what if he had the hots for my mom? And he was completely over me?

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised, my mother always had come off oddly flirtatious towards him since the beginning.

"What's with this?" She scanned her eyes from head to toe on both Ashton and I.

"What?" Ashton and I questioned together, defense slipping through.

"You two together?"

"Oh." Ashton looked to me for help, but I didn't even know what to say. If my mom's hopes were high on a reunion with Ashton, I didn't want to upset her with telling her it was all bogus and for publicity. "We're just um..."

"Playing dress up." I nodded, feeling myself sweating. I couldn't remember the last time I was under such pressure that I started sweating. Was this healthy?

"Does that mean Ashton will be shirtless?" Mom's eyes went wide and a smile grew on her face.

I felt myself heat up with a blush, needing to get away from the bluntness of my mother when it came to Ashton. I grabbed a hold of his wrist, pulling him to my bedroom. It would be the first time I was dragging him to my bedroom in the most innocent way in a long time.

"Something's never change." Ashton chuckled, ready to launch himself on my bed, but wasn't sure if that would be appropriate. "It's refreshing to know your mom is still the same."

"Is it?" I placed my purse down and began looking for something more comfortable to wear as we waited around to get ready for that awful party.

"Yeah." I heard Ashton drop something as I had disappeared to the closet to change. "I like the new place by the way. It's cozy."

"You think? My mom and dad didn't like the minimalist idea of it all. Mom thought it was too simple and Dad thought it was too futuristic. Sofia perfectly made my idea come to life and I love it." Sofia was the best interior designer if anyone ever needed one. I told her what I liked and what I hated, and she made the new place feel like home.