Prowling Through The Night

Start from the beginning

"I can't talk right now Kat." I hear her say, with a tired voice and almost out of breath.

"What's going on Laura?" I question, slightly worried. I was still a cold-ass bitch but the alpha girl had a small place in my heart.

"I caught a scent, I think I'm going insane, but I have to check if it really is him. In case something happens you have to do something for me, please Kat..." She replies, sounding almost desperate.

"What is it?" I ask, with a gigantic frown on my face. For Laura, the unattached and emotionless alpha, to ask something from me, with such a worried voice, meant something really serious was up. Liliya in the meanwhile was trying to hear the conversation with a worried expression on her face.

"If I don't call you tomorrow morning then I'm dead, and if I'm dead I want you to tell my brother Derek what I found out in case he doesn't find the notes in the house. Derek will probably be here soon, I want you to help him out, please Katherine."

I let out a sigh, while I thought through with what I was going to do next. If Laura died, and if she was killed by a werewolf, it meant a new Alpha in town. A new, unknown and totally out of my plans Alpha who could smell my uncommon undead-back-to-live scent. From what Laura had told me my scent was strong, and she could smell me from the other side of town, which meant so could the Alpha. If she was killed my hunters, than it wouldn't be a problem to me- I was now human after all- but I couldn't be sure, they could still see me as a threat.

Helping her brother could surely be a plus for me, without Laura I had no one covering my back other than Liliya and even if Lils was a powerful witch it would still be a complicated fight against a damn alpha werewolf. Letting out another sigh, I finally replied.

"Fine, I'll help your brother out. How does he look like?" I inquired interested in this new development.

"You'll know the moment you see him Kat. Thank you, and it was a pleasure meeting you and your witch." The female Alpha replied, and I could hear the small smile through the sound of her voice, before she hung up.

I put the phone down and grabbed the bottle taking, once more, a long sip preparing myself to the infinite number of questions I could see in Liliya's eyes.

'Oh, it's going to be a very long night.' I think, just before questions come rolling out of Lils tongue.

The woke the next morning growling in pain, I had stayed up until morning answering Liliya's infernal questions while getting as drunk as I could possibly handle

The woke the next morning growling in pain, I had stayed up until morning answering Liliya's infernal questions while getting as drunk as I could possibly handle. The first thing I did as I opened my eyes was check my phone. Normally, the first thing I did in the morning was checking the time but today was different, I was checking for any texts or any calls from Laura.

None, zero calls and zero texts. It was already 2pm, which could only mean that the wolf girl was dead. I groaned and let myself fall into the bed once more, letting the dreams take me away.

I woke up again, this time with rock music coming from the living room. 'Damn you Elena Gilbert, I could be in Paris doing super models and compelling myself a shopping spree!', I thought as I grabbed my pillow and pulled it against my face, letting out a silent scream.

"Are you up Kitty-Kat?" I heard Liliya question loudly from outside my bedroom door. "Come out and eat something, I did mac and cheese."

I groaned but got up from the bed nonetheless, dressing myself quickly in some yoga pants and a comfy sweat. I still couldn't believe how clothes had changed in the last century, a few years back I was getting tortured getting into a corset, although I looked hot in corsets.

"You didn't burn my kitchen did you?" I asked as I walked into the small kitchen, feeling the scent of cheese hit my nostrils.

"Don't worry babe, I'm a fantastic cook." The petite girl replied, giving me a grin which quickly disappeared out of her face when she noticed I had my phone in my hand. "She's dead isn't she?"

"It appears so." I reply in a nonchalant tone, while putting some food in a plate and taking a seat at the table next to Liliya.

"What's the plan now?" The Bulgarian girl asked curious.

"What time is it?" I asked, noticing it was dark outside. "Did I sleep all day long?"

"It appears so." Liliya replied, trying to copy my voice, with a grin in her face. "It's dinner time, that's why I made the mac and cheese. It's almost 8 o'clock. Why?"

"Then eat fast." I said, suddenly having a plan in mind. "We're going to search for Laura's body. I want to know if we're dealing with werewolves or hunters."

"Aye Aye captain." Liliya replied, giving me a grin and rolling her eyes.

"Why did we have to come to the scary woods in the middle of the night Katerina?" The blue eyed witch inquired, while looking at every shadow near her with a freaked out look.

Even though Katherine knew the witch was scared she also new that Liliya was a stronger witch than normal, she knew that the young girl was up for the task- the task in question being protecting her. "Because we need to known who we might be fighting against in the future. Haven't you heard the phrase 'Know your enemy'?"

"Well duh, of course I've heard it- it's a Green Day song." Liliya replied with an amused tone in her voice, making Katherine know that she was joking and in fact understood what the doppelganger was saying.

We continued to prowl through the preserve in silence searching for something when we both stopped suddenly and looked at each other with the same question in mind.

Did you hear something?