PART TEN: THE JACK OF ALL TRADES

Start from the beginning

We looked at each other, can't talk.

"Kung nasa defense na s'ya at mag te-testify, the prosecution will insist his testimony is emotionally driven kaya ma re-revoke agad s'ya umpisa palang and we'll lose because his testimony is what we need to prove there were errors. If his testimony got discarded, the case will be closed and we'll lose, that fast. Pero kung ilalagay natin s'ya bilang witness bago maging miyembro ng defense, walang magiging problema dahil sinabi n'ya 'yon bago maging defense."

He looked at us.

"The first trial is one of the crucial trials, and we need to prove at first the urgency for new trial, that there were errors, and the only person that can prove that is the former prosecutor of the case, which is you, Tyler. The new prosecution can't do anything about it, you know the prosecution trial before more than they do. With that, we can win the first hour of the trial."

And he smiled.

"That's our first card."

There were murmuring. I caught the prosecution whispering at each other, they seemed panicking as if they didn't expect our opening bomb.

I smirked.

That's it! You knocked us once before, we'll break you twice this time!

Tyler came out and the court room was filled with some people giggling.

Wtf?!

"Please state your name for the record," the clerk said after the noise faded.

He stated his name.

"Take the oath of affirmation."

"I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give will be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

Nostalgic.

8 years ago, I was here standing and saying the exact same thing too. But it was a different case. I was a witness who was humiliated in court, got a strike, and charged with perjury by the same person I am facing now.

Difference is, I was a witness and he was the prosecutor. This time, the tables have turned. I am the defense and he's the witness. Should I show a score board and avenge myself?

"You've just stated the affirmation oath," I said and smirked. "Are you willing to be responsible in case you tell a lie?"

He smiled, remembering the exact same words he told me before.

He smirked.

"I fear nothing, attorney."

He said the exact same words I said before.

I didn't expect this. I know we'll see in court someday, but as rivals not as allies.

"Let's proceed," I said.

I cleared my throat.

"So who are you to meddle with the case?!"

He got shocked, everyone did. I sounded like inaaway ko s'ya, as if sinasabihan ko lang s'ya ng 'sino ka para makialam dito' that even me, got shocked.

"I'm the prosecutor of the case, attorney," he said, smiling trying not to laugh.

I closed my eyes.

Self, umayos ka! Kakampi mo 'yan, hindi kalaban! Ba't ba kasi ako nandito? Ba't ba kasi ako napili rito?

Then I remembered the night our team talked.

"And when Tyler testifies, that's when we'll reveal the errors," Traise said.

"Okay, I can do that," Newt said.