III - I'm Not Her

"Okay, class. Today, for hero training, we'll be working on being trusting and open with your classmates. I want each of you to come up and sing a song for the class that reflects your current emotions." announced Midnight. She was in charge of hero training today.
"What?!" questioned Kaminari. "Y/N has an advantage because her quirk makes her so good at singing!" he exclaimed.
"I'm not grading you based off of your voice. I'm grading you based off of how true the words you are singing are." stated Midnight. "That's why my friend, Matsuda Naoko, is here. Her quirk can tell whether or not you are lying. When you're ready, feel free to come up." I rose from my seat and made my way to the front of the class with a blank expression on my face.

"What will you be singing?" asked Midnight.
"'I'm Not Her.'" I replied. I could see Kirishima's face morph into worry out of the corner of my eyes. I took a deep breath as the music began. It was slowly getting harder to breathe and speak, but I was hoping I'd be able to last through this.

-♪♫♪-

Been two years, our memories are blurred
Hadn't heard your voice, no, not a word
But still they, they talk about the things we were
They talk about us
But I don't know the things that you have heard

She's dancing on your feet
With our song on repeat
She painted every role of us
She's taking off her clothes|
In the bed you kept me warm
Heard she's everything I never was

No, I'm not her
No Never will
Never gonna move like her, move like
I'm not her
No
Never will
Never gonna look like her, be like
I'm not her
I'm not her

At least that's what I've heard

Me, myself, just stumble under glue
The thing I thought was missing wasn't you
And now I'm no longer scared to meet the night
I'm doing alright
Me, myself, we started something new

She's dancing on your feet
With our song on repeat
She painted every role of us
She's taking off her clothes
In the bed you kept me warm

Heard she's everything I never was

No, I'm not her
No
Never will
Never gonna move like her, move like
I'm not her
No
Never will
Never gonna look like her, be like
I'm not her
I'm not her
At least that's what I've heard

Been told that she's the opposite
I kinda' like the sound of it
And there's no one like me
And that makes it easier

No, I'm not her
No
Never will
Never gonna move like her, move like
I'm not her
No
Never will
Never gonna look like her, be like
I'm not her

Say

I'm not her
No, I'm not her, oh, and I'll never be
At least that's what I've heard

-♪♫♪-

The instrumental came to an end and so did my voice. My classmates stared at me with sad expressions.

"Naoko?" questioned Midnight. Matsuda was staring off into space with her mouth curved into a sad frown. "What were the lies?"
"5 lies." she replied with a sad expression.
"What were they?" asked Midnight. Ignoring the question, Matsuda looked into my eyes.
"Love hurts, doesn't it?" she asked. I felt the familiar tightening in my chest and fear fled into my eyes.
"I need to go." I said quickly before running out of the classroom and speeding down the hall. I could hear Kirishima and Bakugou yelling my name from behind me.

I turned a corner and darted into the girls' restroom. I threw open a stall and let out the coughs I had been holding in. My eyes were squeezed shut from the burning in my throat. Once I had finished my session, the bathroom door swung open. Both Kirishima and Bakugou stepped in.

"Get the damn surgery!" yelled Bakugou. "That damn half n' half bastard isn't worth it!"
"How would you feel if you forgot Kirishima?!" I yelled back with teary eyes. Both boys stared at me in shock.
"Y/N..." muttered Kirishima as he knelt by my side. Bakugou stepped past me and into the stall.

"You're already coughing up thorns!" he yelled. "I started doing that on my third week! It's your third day! If you won't get the surgery, then tell him!"
"I can't!" I yelled.
"Why not?! Just confess!" spat Bakugou.
"Because he's dating my sister!"
"Your life is on the line!"
"I'm more than willing to die for them!" I screamed, tears streaming down my face and dripping onto the tiled floor. "Momo has always been there for me as long as I could remember..." I muttered, my voice breaking. "I can't... Either way, he chose her. I'm not going to walk in and break apart their relationship." I said.
"You need to try..." breathed out Kirishima. I shook my head.
"They are the two most important people in my life. You saw them making out in the classroom... They clearly have feelings for each other. As long as they're happy, I'm fine." I said.
"Why do you care so little about yourself?" questioned Bakugou in an angry tone. "You care about your sister's love life more than your own actual life! I was desperate to survive this disease- this curse! But you! You don't even care!"
"Because she's the reason why I'm here today!" I exclaimed. "She's the one who always picked me up whenever I felt down! She was always there for me when no one else was!"
"You say she's the reason you're here today, but she's also the reason you might die today!" yelled Bakugou. His hands were balled into fists at his sides.
"I'm heading back to the dorms. Tell the teacher I threw up or something..." I mumbled, rising to my feet. I fixed my uniform and wiped away the blood on my lips before exiting the restroom, leaving the two boys behind.

I walked out of the school and made my way towards the dorm building. I entered it and began my trek to my dorm. Once I got in, I locked the door behind me and stumbled towards my desk. I pulled out a sheet of paper and began writing.

Once I finished, I turned on my laptop and opened my recording software. I grabbed my microphone and set up the rest of my equipment. I took a deep breath before opening my mouth and singing. Once I had finished, I changed the password, wrote it on a sticky note then placed it on my laptop along with the letter.

If I can't say goodbye, these will act as my last words.