"We'd get back together?"

He sighed. "Yeah. Don't look at me like that," he said defensively, at Lisa's raised eyebrow. "Jennie didn't tell me you guys were dating. I wasn't trying to split you up. I just thought that if you were single, and so was I, then there might still be a chance, that's all. I wasn't expecting anything." He laughed. "I certainly wasn't expecting this."

"What?"

"You two."

"Is it really that strange? Honestly, Bobby, I thought you were a pretty liberated guy, I don't know why you're so shocked by it. You had plenty of gay friends."

"It's not you being gay, Lisa, I can handle that. It's the fact that it's Jennie Kim, of all people. The one person you used to bitch about more than anything. I mean, how did that even happen?"

It was Lisa's turn to laugh. "It's a very long story," she said, "that you probably wouldn't believe."

"Try me."

"We don't have time. We need to get back to the others."

"Why?"

"Because," she said, "my new girlfriend is going to be wondering what the heck I'm doing spending so long down here with my ex-boyfriend."

"Ah."

She stood. "Come on."

"I still can't get my head round it, though. You and Jennie."

"Well get used to it. Because this isn't a phase, this is for real. I love her, Bobby."

"I know, but... she. That's just so weird." He frowned. "And also kind of hot."

"You do realize you said that out loud, right?"

"Sorry."

"Just keep your fantasies to yourself, okay?" Lisa said. "The last thing I want when we're getting our freak on is to picture you standing over us with your dick in your hand."

"That's really not helping."

"Jesus. Come on, let's get back to the apartment while you can still stand up straight."

.

.

.

They rejoined the others, Lisa responding to Jennie's anxious look with a smile and a nod. Everything's okay. And with that the tension was broken.

Rosé hugged everyone again, gifts were handed over, and eventually talk turned to other things – college, new friends, new partners, and inevitably to the long and convoluted tale of how Jennie and Lisa got together – told alternately by the two of them, tumbling over each other, bickering over the details:

"So when I got back to the apartment, Lisa had tidied up a little-"

"A little? I'd spent hours doing that! And there were flowers! Did you even see the flowers?"

"So I said, hi, and she said, come in, and then I said-"

"Can we just get to the point?"

"Okay, you tell it."

"Right. So then I told her-"

"That she used my best underwear to kill spiders."

"Once, Kim! That happened once."

"I have to check them every day now before I put them on."

"No you don't."

"I do so!"