Chapter 4

Around noon, Vic and I piled into my Volkswagen Bug and drove to Laguna Beach. Even for August, it was muggy and gross, but then this was Florida. I turned off Back Beach and onto Malaga, the closest road to our little hide-away. The little parking lot was in need of repairs, the entrance had a giant gap between the pavement slabs, which was filled with sand, not good for cars to get stuck in. Someone obviously got tired of it though, because there's a bit of cement haphazardly filling a small bit of the gap, but only big enough for a smart car to drive on comfortably.

As soon as the car was in park, Vic opened the door and jumped onto the pavement. It took him a minute to realize the ground was a little too hot for his feet, and being that he's an over-excited nine year-old, he forgot his shoes back at my apartment. I didn't even bother to suppress a giggle behind my hand as he began to jump from one foot to the other, scowling at me.

"Don't give me that look, you could just run down to the water." I shoot him a smirk and watch as he cautiously tip toes down the concrete ramp to the sand. Last time I brought him down here, he learned the hard way that stickers hid in the sugar-white sand.

I grabbed my towel and shut the car door behind me as I walked down the ramp, a bit more civilized than my brother, but just as eager to get to the sand. Once the ramp ended, my flip flops were discarded by the cement wall that held the sea oats at bay. My eyes scanned the white and blue landscape, searching for a dark haired little boy in purple swim trunks. I saw him standing in front of the shore, letting the waves lap at his ankles and his arms spread out, welcoming the fresh sea air. I made my way towards him, stopping to deposit my towel and cover up on the sand.

"It's beautiful out today, huh?"

His head turns back to look at me, his green eyes sparkling in the sunlight, and his little mouth pulled back in a toothy grin. My little brother look almost exactly like our mom. The only trait of his father's is his slightly crooked nose; but the eyes, thin lips, dark hair, and pale skin are all our mom. He closes his emerald eyes and inhales deeply, "I wish mom could have come with us, she needs a vacation."

I kneel down to let the water cover my thighs. "Yeah, I wish she could bud." To be honest, I wish they would both come live with me. Sometimes I love having my freedom, but then I think about how they're stuck there with Marc. He hasn't gotten violent yet, but I don't want to give him the chance to lay a hand on my family. If there was a way to convince my mom to move to Laguna, I'd do it in a heart beat, but she refuses to leave our family house in New Hope.

As I'm lost in my thoughts, I don't notice my bother until my face is splashed with saltwater. My eyes narrow as I glare up at him. He's trying to use his little-boy-charm, sending me an innocent smile and puppy eyes. It's definitely not working. Slowly, I rise to my full height and lunge at my brother. I throw his little frame over my shoulder and carry him into deeper waters, ignoring his giggles and pleas. Once I'm hip deep, I abide by his wishes and put him down, or rather drop him into the ocean.

++++++++++

That night I gave Vic twenty dollars to give to the pizza guy when he showed up, and set him up in the living room with Netflix and a blanket in my comfy chair. I made sure he understood that if he got any pizza sauce in my chair, he'd be licking every bit of it off until the upholstery was spotless again. He gave me the usual, "yeah whatever," and the eye roll. I grinned and ruffled his hair.

"You have my number, right?"

He nodded his head and pointed to the home phone. "If anyone tries to break in or I don't know what I broke I call you," he recites obediently.

I smile and grab my keys. "I'll be home in about six hours."

"So, two in the morning? Do I get to stay up until then?" His eyes got big and hopeful.