Chapter 36

Joseph took the long elevator ride down to the pit of the Sanctuary for his council with the Elders. They wanted a progress report, a fucking progress report. Of course he had nothing; he was fucking eighteen years old with the responsibility of catching a fugitive. They knew he cared, that was the only reason why they picked him, and he knew that.

As he passed straight through to the sanctuary the Elders appeared before them. They looked down on Joseph, like how they did for everyone, and offered him a chair directly across from them at the table. He remembered when him and Ruth had walked down there, and the look on her face when the doors closed and he was on the other side . . .

"Good day Joseph," Elder Nev said. "I trust that you've been well?"

Well? The love of his life left him for the shiniest piece of shit member of the Humans, he couldn't get a single goddamned lead of where she was. When he did find her, he let her slip through his fingers. Not to mention the pressure the Elders put on his ass to succeed became too much, so he resorted to drinking, and all the while the Elders kept a gigantic eye on him that filled him with shame at every possible moment.

"Very well," Joseph said. "Thank you."

"Have you found any leads regarding your mission?"

"No, Elder Nev," he said. "I have not."

"It was put on record," said Elder Nev, "that you had two separate encounters with Ruth Mayhem, both of which were in person, and she was isolated without help. What do you have to say about those records?"

"They're pretty straight forward," Joseph said. "I saw her, in the flesh, twice, and she got away from me."

"Can you explain how she evaded you?"

"Well the first time," Joseph said. "I raged, and lost my senses, the second time I was fairly drunk and she appeared in my place . . . I'll be honest I thought that was a dream."

"Witnesses say otherwise," said Elder Nev. "Do you have any reason for us to keep you on the case?"

"Yes," Joseph said. "Elder Nev, I promise I will-"

Before Joseph could finish two guards burst through the Sanctuary doors in a complete panic. "We're sorry to interupt," said one of the guards. "But it's an emergency."

"I hope for your sake it is," Elder Nev said, while standing from her chair with a cross look on her face. "What is the emergency?"

"We're under attack."

"What?!" spat Elder Nev. "By what?"

"A sizable band of Shape Shifters," the guard said. "Including members of the Savages, and known subjects from the lab tests in the Shape Shifter study facilities."

"And they've got in?!"

"Yes," said the guard. "I'm sorry Elder Nev."

"Impossible," Elder Nev said. "Who else was with them?!"

"There w-were confirmed sightings of Ruth Mayhem on sight," said the guard. "Along with Margaret Patel, royal members of the Children of Peace, Hero Victoria Strong and Samia Meredith Evangeline Syal, and . . ."

"And?" Elder Nev hissed.

"Mark Patel, Elder," said the guard. "The pure soul."

Elder Nev balanced herself by leaning on the chair. For a moment, it was silent in the Sanctuary, until she let out a low menacing chuckle. Her laugh grew louder and louder until it came to a striking halt. "I suppose," she said. "That Ruth Mayhem is leading the charge?"