Mercy

I had to shove through crowds of students to get to Kaley's locker.  We designated her locker as a meet up place before lunch started.  Of course, there was a different guy hovering over her five foot six frame.  He looked absolutely smitten with her.  I didn't blame the guy for falling head over heels for Kaley.  She had golden locks of wavy hair, crystal blue eyes, bright skin, and a body any girl would die for.  Overall, she looked very healthy and very beautiful.  This didn't stop me from interrupting their conversation. 

"I'd like to speak to Kaley, guy I don't even know."  I wasn’t intending to be rude, but people always misread the tone in my voice.  He shot me a dirty look for interrupting his conversation with Kaley, and stormed off, probably to cry.

"Normal people wait for others to finish their conversation,” Kaley said, laughing.     

“I’m pretty sure we both know that I’m the farthest thing from normal,” I replied, giggling.  She gave me a small grin and shoved her books in her locker.  Kaley nodded towards the cafeteria, and we headed off.

“So what did you need to talk to me about oh so urgently?” Kaley asked as entered the cafeteria.  Immediately, people from all lunch tables waved to us.  We politely waved back and gave them humble grins.

“You know the new kid that just transferred here from California?” I sat down at a table and took out my lunch. 

“Yeah, of course I do.  I heard from the people in your class that he’s insanely cute,” she nodded with big eyes.  “Target acquired, if you know what I mean,” she grinned mischievously.  I ignored the pit of jealousy deep in my stomach. 

Why the hell am I jealous? What is wrong with me today?!

I took out my fork and began to play with the tines to distract me from Ian.  I didn’t realize I forgot to continue my story until Kaley abruptly snapped loudly in front of my face.  I shook my head to dispel the jealousy welling up.

“Right… Anyway, his name is Ian Iacova-“

“Oh my god, his name already sounds so handsome and dreamy,” Kaley commented with stars in her eyes.  She rested her chin in her palms and had a goofy smile plastered onto her face.

“Uhm.  Okay.  Well, turns out I’ve met him before,” I said casually.  Kaley’s eyes widened and she jumped in her seat. 

“What?! Spill everything you know or I will hurt you!” She grabbed my fork and lightly stabbed my arm.  Out of reflex, my arm reached for the fork just as she was about to stab me.  I quickly shot her a warning glare, but she dismissed it completely.

“Where did you meet him, Jae?!  If you don’t tell me now, I’m going to die of suspense!” Kaley’s body literally vibrated so violently I thought she was having a seizure.  People threw us strange looks as they passed by us. 

“Are you okay?” I asked hesitantly, afraid of the answer.

“Yes, I’m fine! Stop stalling and tell me already, woman!” Her voice rang clear throughout the entire cafeteria and seemed to pierce through my ear.

“I met him three years ago in middle school,” I answered with distaste dripping in my voice.  She noticed the disdain in my voice when I mentioned him, so Kaley tilted her head in confusion.

“You don’t seem to like Ian very much.  May I ask why?” She queried.   I scanned the cafeteria to see if anyone was listening in on our conversation. 

I leaned in towards her and whispered loudly, “I used to have a thing for him, but he was a complete jerk and rejected me in such an embarrassing and humiliating way in public!  To this day I hate him for it!”  Kaley opened her mouth to speak, but I kept babbling. “If you mention this to another soul on this planet, I will personally hunt you down and murder you in your sleep!  Got it?!”