~Twelve~

“What?” Niall frowns, his eyebrows knitting together. His eyes had the same expression as the rest of his face. I wanted to slap myself for being so stupid.

“Emily,” I whisper into her ear, “Go get a banana and eat it at the dining table.” I watch her run off and redirect my attention to Niall.

“Niall, can I please explain?” I plead, my own eyes filling with tears upon seeing Niall so upset.

“What is there to explain, Megan? You lied to me?” He almost questions, his voice cracking. I swear I could feel my heart shattering. He finally notices Danielle in the corner who seemed frightened.

“What? Danielle?” He sounded as though he was in pain. I felt like I could die on the spot.

“I- Um, I’m sorry I have to go.” Danielle winces as she walks quickly to the door. “I’m sorry but I can’t get involved, as much as I want to. Promise me that you two will work it out.” She looks sympathetically at me and rushes to her car out the front, and I don’t blame her. I’d probably do the same, but awkwardly.

Niall looks back at me with tears in his eyes.

“Megan. I really liked you- I even told you I’ve never really had a girlfriend, and this is why!” He shouts, shaking his head, looking down. The feeling in my chest was probably the equivalent of an organ shrivelling up and disappearing.

“Niall please just listen to me…” I whisper, trying to hold back a scream that was threatening to erupt from my mouth.

“Listen to what, Megan? You didn’t tell me about one of the most important things about you! AND THEN YOU LIED TO ME!” He spat, the tears finally rolling down his face. How did something so good turn to sour so quickly? I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into, and I certainly didn’t realize Niall had such strong feelings for me. I should’ve predicted this, and I should’ve seen it coming when he said he didn’t let many girls get this close to him.

“I will admit Niall,” I take a deep breath in, “I lied, yes. But I’ll be honest, I have been on that many dates where they find out about her and they just left me that I’d given up. ‘It’s not you, I’m just not comfortable around small kids. I’m not ready for them.’ EVERY TIME NIALL, YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND. I just wanted to protect her- just this once. Of course I wanted to tell you Niall, but there was that fact that you’re an international well known star and you being seen with a kid isn’t going to go down too well. Plus, what if you didn’t even like kids?” I look up at him, and I’ve actually caught his attention.

“In a relationship, the key factor is trust. I am the person in the wrong here and I’m going to admit it. I want to fix it, and if we both want a stable relationship- that is, if you still want to be in a relationship with me- I’m happy to tell you everything and anything, and I won’t lie. As long as you promise me the exact same, we could have a strong relationship. With me hiding my little secret, Emily, it wasn’t going to work. I realized that.” I took a deep breath in, trying to un-jumble the thousands of thoughts buzzing through my brain at the one moment. “Now, if you’ll let me just have a few last words. Niall, I really, really, REALLY like you, you’re an amazing guy, and I’d be stupid to let you slip through my fingers because I made a stupid mistake. If there’s anything I can do to reassure you that I’m not trying to hurt you, I’ll do it. I just want you to realize this was a big mistake, and I really am truly sorry.” I sigh, out of breath. Niall’s frown falters for a second before he presses his lips together in thought.

“I-Uh.” He goes to talk but stutters, and the previous knot in my stomach double knots. “Listen. You may mean well but I’m hurt. I can’t just brush this off as if it was nothing because it wasn’t. You’re right, trust is the main key to a relationship but if I can’t trust you right now then we shouldn’t be in a relationship. I’m happy to try and repair that trust barrier, but it’s going to take time. I’m not shutting you out, I’m slowing it down a bit and going back to stage one. I hope you understand.” He finishes. I nod understandingly, looking down.