Unbreakable promise

He packed things up, nothing more than books and papers. This farewell wasn't formal but it's sure hard to say goodbye not to the places but the peoples. The students had been together for a few years. Their brotherhood was unbreakable. Some of them called him big brother even they all were the same age. Some parents had already arrived. Ready to pick their son or daughter. One by one as the time passing. He was the last one. The sun was ready to set. Suddenly, a proton car came through the school gate. He knew that must be his mother. Seeing his mother just made him so glad. He hugged his mother as tears of happiness came out. His mother doesn't talk too much as she opened car's door. He lifted his stuffs put it in the car. Then, they were ready to make it through home.

Her mother drove casually as the radio break the silence situation. He always tried having a peaceful chat with his mother but its always ended up with disaster. Everything changed since his father passed away. She always been frustrated about her life. Even though she won't tell her son. He knew based on her mother attitude started to change. It had been 10 years since then. He just respect his mother for struggling daily life to make sure he had a perfect education.

Out of the blue, she spoke. "do you remember the promises?". At first he was shocked but then he just replied it with "yeah". When he started to remember, it was promised that he made 9 years ago. He knew that he would be never able to stay on his plan from this point. He had totally forgot about promised he had made to his mother that he will become a Hafiz Al Quran when he grew up. Even without many words came through, he knew he had to bury all of his dreams, its to became a medical officer in army. This cracked his heart. Even his body were trembling a little bit. He tried very hard to look fine in front of his mother. He knew he can't deny the promises after all of his mother sacrifices. On the outside he looks like a fine person but his heart and his mind was crushed by thoughts for the first time.