'Just tell me why you married me Tomas, for I sure as hell can't fathom the reason,' she searched his face for any clues, but as usual got nothing from that poker face.

His eye shuttered, silence became his temporary weapon, but it did not mean nothing was going on behind those intelligent charcoal eyes. He was always planning three steps ahead. That is how he managed to remain a successful billionaire!

'Tomas!' Her tone was impatient.

'What's to fathom cara? Do I not see to your every need?'

Every need except love!

'You think materialism is an adequate substitute for your cold, insensitive, lack of interest in our farce of a marriage?'

'Cold?'

Trust him to pick on selected words. Okay in bed you are hot as hell.

'Insensitive?'

Okay, you've been good to Emily and Caroline  ... and me.

'Lack of interest?'

Alina decided this was the moment to resume her attack.
'Well since you hooked up with your French lover, you've hardly paid any attention to me, have you?' She accused, her face turning scarlet.

'Scusi!'
He observed how her face coloured profusely, but he dare not attempt to assume any advantage.

'Don't play dumb Tomas,' a pained expression covered her face. 'I know you've been having an affair with that woman you were with in Frankfurt.'

Tomas' eyes literally bulged like saucers. 'You are crazy cara!'

'Am I!'
Alina dug into her handbag and removed the incriminating newspaper article that she had been carrying around in her bag and torturing herself with in the recent weeks.

'Do you remember now Tomas?' Tears streamed down her face, as she slammed the crinkled page on his table. 'Surely you have not replaced her already!' She spat out.

Tomas could not believe what he was hearing. He searched his wife's teary-eyed face in astonishment. Was she serious! He stared at the tattered article she seemed to have angrily torn out of the paper. How many times had she been tormenting herself looking at that?

'Where are the rest of the attendees at that dinner?' He asked softly.

'Excuse me?'

'The rest of the people that were at that dinner table cara! I was not dining alone there. There were five other business people at that table!'

Alina looked away, scanning her memory. She recalled three other newspapers ran that exact same picture of only Tomas and that woman. How could they be so irresponsible!

Tomas' voice broke into her thoughts. 'I have not been intimate with her, nor had any kind of relationship with her,' Tomas stared Alina square in the eyes.

Alina released her breath in small measures. She believed him. He might be many things but a liar, he was not. She just knew that explicitly.

'What about Gabriella?' Alina sneered angrily, fighting like a wounded animal to the death.

'What about her?' He turned away from Alina.

'Don't hide your face from me, damn it! I want to see your eyes!'

Slowly Tomas turned to face her again. 'What would you like to know about Gabriella?'
He sounded angry. Did Alina want to know that his mother had been hell bent on having Gabriella as her daughter-in-law, irrespective of her only son's feelings on who he wanted as a life partner?