Alejandro - The World is New, but Nothing

I'm Alejandro

I've lived in so many states that I can't keep track. Maybe I should. But none of them I really called home. Living places are temporary. Home I can return to. But in my life, I've just seen people come and go.

I'm new to Texas. I've heard the people were friendly. Well, then again, I was told everyone owed acres of land, rode horses, and called themselves the "Yeehaw of the Land." So far, I haven't seen so much of that. I've gotten smiles, though. Nice smiles. I try to smile back, but it looks like I'm screwing up my face.

School begins next week and I'm excited, but just a little. I don't want to get my hopes up. Every year is a new start, but a new start for me meant an ending that I never finished. A book I loved closing. A day I never wanted to end, ending. 

I was taking a stroll of my neighborhood at one point, couldn't remember where I was going. I was at the intersection between my neighborhood and another. I looked around to ask someone for directions - keep in mind, this was Sunday while my family was at mass - and my eyes landed on a girl who wore a piece of fabric on her head. My, I thought, it's quite warm out here. "Excuse me, ma'am," I asked, raising my voice just a little. The girl squared her shoulders before facing me. Nondescript features, fair skin, but she made direct eye contact and I met her intense gaze. "Excuse me, but do you mind telling me where...?" I thought about my new address..."Where 891 Crosby Lane is?

Her voice caught me by surprise - it was smooth, like flowing water, and had a faint accent. "Take a left, then a right, and if you keep walking you'll run right into it.

"Thank you." I was relieved

"You're welcome."

She nodded - just a quick acknowledgement of my words -  then continued on her way. 

I didn't start immediately walking, though. I looked back at her retreating figure, looked forward, and followed her directions, my heart thumping all the while.