Chapter 1

"Mama can we stop for ice cream?" Brooke said getting into the car. "Yea we can, we just have to make a few stops before we go baby , okay?" I said looking down into my phone checking a text message.

She shook her head in agreement and began talking to me about her day at school , telling me about her friends, teachers and everything else.

"Slow down girl, I'm losing track," I say laughing at her. "My bad, but I had a long day mama," I busted into laughter . A long day? Lord she's something else.

"Me to Brooke, I have so much on my mind."

"Really mama? Tell me about it.."

I stopped at a red light and remained looking straight forward . Should I tell her about her father ? Probably not right now.

"Oh nothing, stuff you wouldn't understand baby."

I made a right and turned into a shopping center . The building I brought was right in the center of it. I parked the car and Brooke and I walked into "Beautiful Creations Hair Salon" .

I've thought about opening a hair salon plenty of times when I was younger. I figured since I had the money I should go ahead and invest into it. Also seeing my mother open her own salon motivated me even more.

Its still under construction but should be done within a month. I walk in and took a glance at all the construction workers, then spot one sitting down talking on the phone.

"Hey, excuse me sir what are you doing sitting down ?" I say walking over to him.

"My bad boss, so sorry, I'll get back to work." He walked pass me and put his hat back on. I turned and looked in the direction he walked to.

For some reason he looked very familiar. His name was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't get it out.

I walked over to him and tapped his shoulder. "Excuse me." I say.

He turned around and looked me up and down. Then in unison we both say, "Don't I know you from somewhere?" I laugh and introduce myself .

"Ugh, I'm Tiffany, what's your name."  When I said Tiffany the light smile on the mans face slowly went away.

"I'm Nic, remember me?"

When he said that my heart skipped a beat. "Is this Brooke?" He asked pointing to her. She then stood behind me and peaked her head out to see.

"Yea, she's all big now huh?" 

"Sure is, come here little girl I'm your Uncle Nic." He said putting out his hand. She slowly came to him and hugged him. She turned to me and looked as confused as I was.

"So..so, how you been Nic? You look good." I say trying to lighten the tension between us.

"I've been good, just got out of jail, trying to make a living. I see you doing well for yourself." He says.

"Yeap I've been doing real good up until now" I say in my head.

"Yea, I've been doing real good! Its nice to see you." I grab Brooke and try my best to walk off but he calls me back.

"You must be uncomfortable? Don't worry Tiff, I don't have any ill feelings towards you, it was me the one being young and stupid back then. I can't blame anyone but myself." He says. I instantly start feeling bad. I should have been more mature about the situation other than walking off.

I exhale hardly and apologize to Nic.

"Its fine , I know how you can make it up to me." He says looking me up and down in a flirtatious way. "Let me take you out to dinner, we can catch up."

I think for a minute then give in. "Sure that'll be fine." We exchanged numbers and I make my way out the salon quick as possible.

Me and Brooke get in the car and buckle up. When she's safely in she begins her questions.

"Mama who was that man?.. How do you know him?.. He was in jail ?"

I roll my eyes in annoyance at all her questions. "Long long story baby, leave it alone." She shook her head and started looking out the window.

I felt bad about how I answered her so when we made it to the ice cream shop I let her get more sweets than she needed. "Thank u mama." She said in between eating. I laugh at her.

****

After I make sure Brooke is in bed, I take a long hot shower. The hot water soothed my body and I felt stress free for only a moment. I step out , dry off and put on a big oversized T-shirt. When I make it to my bed I notice my phone vibrating. It was a text from Nic .

Hey tiff, it was nice seeing you today, you looked good.

Thanks ! Nice seeing u too.

I was thinking we can go eat dinner this weekend, preferably Saturday?

Sure, just give me the time and place.

I place my phone down and sink into my silk pillows. I really didn't want to go out to eat with him, I didn't even want to see him today hell !

Then I sit up spontaneously. I grabbed my phone and dial Zakiya's number.

After all these years we're still best friends, Allison as well. Zakiya lives in New Orleans, and Allison still stays in Monroe. I thought once we moved our relationship would fade but that wasn't the case. We're still close as ever!

I chew on my nail awaiting Zakiya to answer the phone.

"Hello." She says. I waste no time getting straight to the point.

"Girl out of all the people in the world guess who I seen today."

"Who girl?"

"Nic! Your ex!" I wait for her response then with no warning I hear screaming through the phone.

"Bitch what? You have to be lying?" She says sounding amused.

"Nope, so serious ,girl I didn't know how to react." I say laughing.

We continue talking for about two hours, then I realized what time it was. I had a interview about businesses promotions in the AM and I couldn't be late. The company I had the interview with was big and I needed to be as professional, and prepared as possible. I hang the phone up and doze off shortly after.

*Nic's POV*

I pace back and forth in the living room of my tiny apartment. Damn, Tiffany was looking , but thats Cedric's baby mother, but they hadn't been together in forever. I dont know what to do. But something was attracting me to Tiffany. I don't care how close me and Cedric was, Tiffany is going to be mine.