Chapter 4

Red's POV

I look upon the breezy, tall structures of Moray Towers, the grey platforms, with pebbles the same matter, streaked on top of the parking garage. Within seconds, the team takes off. I glance at our strange new member of the team. He immediately took off the center, painting every spot in his path. Every single spot. I could feel a 'Woah' muttered under my breath. What level is he? Where did he learn to do that?

"Look at him go, Red!" Candy shouts towards me, stopping her roller in her tracks. Tar leaps in, replying to Candy's amaze: "He's like a warrior from the Great Turf War. Such precision!"

"Yeah, he's wow'ed me.." I admitted to myself. "His dodge rolls are perfect," I suddenly become frustrated with the boy. "Where did he learn that?? I need to know.."

"Ugh.. there's no use worrying about it, I'm falling behind." With my angry gaze and a determined smirk, I race down to the battlefield.

Only to get splatted immediately. I can feel my rage seeping along my back, my ends of my tentacles hot. "Stupid... frickin green team.." I mumbled, slashing down my roller in anger and continuing on. I was obviously the best player in the team, and this kid was not going to carry, right? I glance upon the stage, noticing his swift movements. "Those dodge rolls! I've never seen anyone dodge roll like that! Where is this dude from?" I continued to stare intensely, getting more frustrated and envious. "How could he possibly be better than me?" I grunted in my anger, pouting, which then I realized that there was a green ink enveloping around me, and I was splatted yet again.

Back at the spawn, I felt pissed off about it. He was better than me. I could never do that! "Errrrg." I growl, jumping back down and smacking my Dynamo across an enemy's face. I pushed forward to invade the enemies base, but then before I could reach the opposite ramps- time was called. "What? I could've sworn we had more time!"

Judd and Lil Judd would slowly wake up, and within seconds... "Team Red wins!" I saw Judd hold up the red flag, and I felt somewhat relieved, glancing over to see my sister and Tar jumping up in celebration. I look over at the other kid, who was just standing there, staring at Judd like he'd never seen anything like him.

————

We walk into the lobby again, the team cheering still, except for the random kid and me. I walk up to the kid, and before I could speak, Tar and Candy run up, pestering him with questions. "How did you move that fast?" "Where did you learn that?" and "Can you teach me?" The boy simply waved his hands around, stuttering. "I... uh, I don't-" His voice was very soft spoke, with a small indescribable accent that Red didn't recognize. They paused their questions on asking how, and a few moments pass from the boy's awkward, unsatisfying answer as Candy spoke up, "Can you do a couple more rounds with us? Please?" Tar nods, awaiting the boy's answer.

He nods softly, and rubs the back of his neck- which was covered by the hoodie. I felt ever so curious why he needed to have his head covered. "Is he trying to be edgy or something?" I brush it off, though, and sit down. I didn't want to bombard him with praise. I simply waited for the next battle. When the time came, I rose up, grabbing my roller, and trotting up further into the lobby and waiting for the rest my team, who were waiting for the boy to come with them. He spun his duelies around, performing a cool trick with them. I felt astonished. He was bragging! "I'll show him.." I whip around my dynamo roller, rising it up into the air like a weight, and spinning it around horizontally. After I finished spinning, I let it rest on my shoulders. The boy actually noticed, and to my surprise, he was giggling! "Nice spin.." He said in that soft voice. I blush, my roller slipping out of grasp, but I grab it and lift it back over my shoulder again. "Thanks, I guess." I scratch at my chin, and my teams walks off to move back into battle, me following them.

————

The first round we won with ease, Tar and Candy cheering on the mysterious boy, and I found myself looking up to him, he was smooth, and effective at covering every square unit. Tar decided to ask more questions- to which I overheard. "Hey, what's your name?" The boy seemed to be nervous. I seemed suspicious of him. Why did he do all this? What is he hiding? Before Tar said more, we had to move into our next battle.

The next battle moved on quickly. I could barely take my eyes off the hooded, mysterious boy. "I have to concentrate." I kept on rolling, and I ended up being a little too prideful about rolling the enemy squids into the ground. Although our efforts, somehow the team was overpowering them, and we were in the danger zone. I look over at the mystery boy. Even he was struggling with fending off the enemy team. Two of them had Blobblobers, for crying out loud.

I decided to help him, swimming in front of him and leaping up into the air, roller up, splatting one of them with a swift flick. It wasn't enough. As I reached the ground, it was covered in enemy ink. I glance over at the hooded boy, and he was nearing the edge of the parking lot, heels to the curb. It would be a long fall. He did something that surprised me. The boy hopped before getting pushed by enemy ink over the edge, and shot the two of the enemy inklings with both duelies. It was incredible! He seemed so calm and careful with his moves. However, I felt my heart flip when the boy tried landing back on the edge, but he lost his balance, tripping and falling backwards.

I rush over in a hurry, grabbing his wrist in time, "I gotcha!" Exclaiming, but I wasn't ready for what I saw- now noticing when I grabbed him, his hood slipped off his head. A short tentacle on his head, suction cups on the outside. No line on the bridge of his nose. Rounded ears.

He was an octoling.

In my shock, I didn't realize that I let go of his wrist.

{A/N} Sorry this took so long, it wasn't a priority to write this fanfic, and I almost forgot about it, but now I have more time to work on this fic! Thank you for anyone who was waiting.