Part of me wanted to stop, turn around, march right up to Kit and demand to know why he felt like he could do what he just did but I knew that's exactly what he wanted. So I didn't. Besides, if I did I wouldn't have lasted two seconds. It was something we both knew. That's why I let Jason have an ear full when he tried to sit us at the same table for the reception on Saturday.

"Come on Zoe" he'd groaned. "You don't have to talk to him. It's only for a couple of hours."

But what he didn't realize was that Kit didn't have to say a single word to get under my skin. All he had to do was look at me and he knew it. But it's not like I could share this problem with my older brother, he was just relieved his best friend had stopped fucking his baby sister. He liked to avoid the subject at all cost.

So did I. It was easy living across the country, but I knew flying home for the wedding was going to make it impossible. Sure enough, the rehearsal dinner was the first time I physically found myself laying eyes on him since we'd broken apart. It was one of the moments where you find you're crossing paths with an ex, and suddenly wondering if a second try with them might work out for the best.

After making it inside I didn't even bother to stop in a stall, instead I stopped to take a seat on the sink. I waited a few minutes, until my nerves died down. I couldn't even last a few glances in a crowded bar, there was no way I was going to last an entire wedding reception near him. Once I was sure I had my body under control I made my way outside. A quick glance towards the direction of the bar allowed me to notice he was gone which is why I didn't even realize he was already next to me.

Catching my arm, Kit stopped me from moving less than two steps from the doorway his body backing up against the nearest wall as a group of ladies filed past.

"Hey stranger" I smiled, the irritated look he gave me causing my smile to grow. "I was beginning to wonder when you'd say hi."

"Come on" was all I earned, not even a smile.

Yanking me back he only tightened his grip around my arm as I made an attempt to move away. Steering me away from the bathroom he pulled me closer to avoid a group of men, his gaze landing on them as their conversation died down by our presence.

His actions had already caught the attention of those around us but he didn't care. He just continued his way outside, across the hotel lobby and towards the elevator.

"Let go. I didn't even drink that much, I can walk on my own."

Doing as I said he reached around me, my body only taking a step back in resistance to my mind's request to move away.

I don't know what exactly I expected him to do but he punched the button before shooting me an accusing look.

"What the fuck was that shit?" He demanded the lowness of his voice only seeming to amplify his anger.

"What are you talking about? I was minding my own business" I laughed stopping to glance up at him. "It's not my fault you couldn't mind your own."

"I was" he responded, the clenching of his jaw tugging at something deep inside me. "It's hard not to notice when your ex is-"

"Keyword ex." I responded receiving a sharp intake of breath from him.

"You just expect me to let you get felt up by some random guy at a bar?"

"Yes, I actually do Kit. That's what ex's do. When you break up you don't run off every guy that looks in my direction-"

"That dick was doing more than just looking at you." He replied impatiently reaching around me to punch the button again. "Trust me, he was just about to fuck you on top the bar if I didn't step in-"