Enemies Within (Wattys 2012)

This has not been edited, it's my first attempt at writing, I hope it makes sense and you enjoy it.

The book is around 55,000 words long so will post chapters daily thanks for reading

Chapter 1

        I am not going to die, not today and not in this shit hole, that’s what I told myself as another punch hit me In the ribs, I’d been beaten for a good 30 mins now and I wasn’t going to tell them, what they wanted to hear.

           “why are you hear Mr James, why are you in my country alone and why were you caught in the government building” to be fair they were good honest questions but I couldn’t tell him the real reason why I was in Nigeria, I had a good cover story as a banker from London working on behalf of a well-known banking group looking at establishing an office in the region. And this is the story I was sticking to “I’m here looking at offices for my company” I said as I was hit from behind this time from somebody over my left shoulder, this time I was coughing up blood and I spat out a tooth, another trip to the dentist when I get home then I thought to myself.

           The questioning continued for about an hour then a man interrupted and wanted to speak to the main guy doing the interrogating, he looked a little wired, a skinny guy wearing a stained vest, combats and trainers, carrying the weapon of choice for terrorists and criminals in this part of the world the AK-47, I couldn’t quite make out what they were talking about but one thing did stand out I heard them mention a name a, Mr Johnson I thought this was odd, who was he, had he been captured too, was he the boss, had I miss heard them.

I was tied to this old wooden chair and as I was hit again this time knocking me over  I was on my side hands tied behind the back of the chair, I was close to passing out the room was spinning,  the 2 guys talking had left and I was alone with just the one guard, when the room had stopped spinning and I could gather my thoughts I noticed my hands were slightly free I was on my side with my back to the wall and the guard facing standing in front of the door, I had managed to get my hands free they were still tied but the back of the chair and come out of its hinge now was my chance to try and escape, I made a movement as I was trying to get up I asked the guard to help me he came across and leaned over to prop me up, as soon as he did my arms were in front of me and I wrapped the rope that was holding my hands together around his throat and squeezed he dropped to his knees still fighting but slowly the life drained out of him, I took his knife cut the rope of my arms I also took his gun, ammo and keys, although I’d had a lovely stay in was time for me to check out.

           I slowly opened the door In the time I was there I had only seen 3 people 1 I knew wasn’t going to be bothering me anymore, the interrogator and the skinny vest guy, I crept slowly down this dim lit corridor hoping I wasn’t going to run into a group of drugged up crazy wanna be soldiers, I turned the corner and saw one lonely looking soldier just standing leaning up against the wall, there was a room to his right that was brightly lit but there didn’t seem to be anyone else around, I got behind him took out my knife put my hand over his mouth and at the same time drove the knife into his lower back he tried to scream out but my hand muffled his noises, I took the knife out of his back and I dragged him back out of the light, I searched him and took his ammo, and I noticed a hand gun it was a European model a Glock it was unusual to find them in this part of the world as they are very expensive and if you buy a lot of these you tend to attract attention to yourself, I had also found a silencer so I assumed this had belonged to someone and he had relieved the previous owner well it was mine now, as I approached the well lit room and I could see the vest guy and the interrogator, the temptation to kill them both was pretty high I was in a lot of pain, I’m sure I had cracked if not broken at least 2 ribs and I lost a tooth.