Their conversation was pretty cryptic. Unfortunately, they weren't offering much exposition to explain what they were talking about, though she did hear Jarrett's and Stellan's names more than once. The rendezvous ended with neither participant looking especially thrilled, and Lily went one way while Bald Guy chose another path. Belinda panicked and squished up against the tree as Bald Guy naturally decided to walk in her direction. She held her breath as he passed, thinking she was in the clear when he turned. His round eyes bulged and a vein cutting across his skull protruded as his eyes found her cell phone.

Belinda sprinted but in one step he reached her and clenched her wrist with a hand about five times the size of hers. She wriggled to pry free but he only tightened his grip, twisting her wrist at the same time.

"You keep coming back for more, don't you?" he said.

Belinda wasn't sure what that meant, but she screamed, louder than the pain actually called for, and slammed her foot into his shin. A throb in her foot made it plain that it had hurt her more, but it did distract him and he loosened his grip just enough for her to yank free.

She lost her balance in the process and while Bald Guy tried to get a hold on her ankles, he yelped and doubled over onto his knees. Belinda stood up and backed away as Bennett held the back of an industrial-strength flashlight at Bald Guy's skull.

"Would you like another demonstration on the back of your head?" Bennett said to him, his gray eyes like smoke shooting up from an open fire.

Bald Guy shook his head no.

Within seconds, policemen surrounded the park. Jonas sprinted toward them, his light brown hair whipping up off of his head. Belinda leaned against the tree again, rubbing her wrist, which she was pretty certain was sprained now that she'd collapsed onto it on the ground. Once Bald Guy was in handcuffs, Bennett relaxed his flashlight, but his expression remained leaden. An ambulance pulled up too and Jonas waved them over.

"He's a PI!" Belinda pointed at Bald Guy.

Jonas noted that Bennett had casually (so he thought) moved over to Belinda's side and now stood near her protectively. "He's actually a lawyer," Jonas said.

Belinda's mouth gaped, her finger still pointing. "That's a lawyer?"

"Believe it or not, darling." Jonas planted his feet and looked down at Bald Guy. "Hi."

"Hi back," Bald Guy said.

Jonas grinned. "Assault on a defenseless woman in a park in broad daylight. And it's such beautiful weather too. What is this world coming to?"

Bald Guy grunted.

Belinda watched with interest, unsure if she was more scared or excited by the whole experience. "Do you know him?"

Jonas tilted his head. "Bennett and I had a run-in with him during our private investigating days, didn't we?"

Bald Guy declined to comment.

Belinda's eyes widened. That's why Bennett recognized her description of him. She tried to catch Bennett's eyes, but he stayed fixed on Bald Guy.

"During a case, we found him embroiled in some uncool business practices."

"You never proved it," Bald Guy growled.

Jonas shrugged. "You look a little worse than you did the last time we met." He examined the bruise on his jaw - and his earlobe with a clear hole for an earring.

A little bit of pride bubbled up inside of Belinda. Jarrett had put up a fight.

"So what?" Bald Guy said.