Chapter 16

The news that Stellan and Jeff got to Sea Stud early that morning to find Mark already dead in the water nearly made Belinda pass out. But it got better. Scared out of their wits, Stellan, against Jeff's better judgment, decided that they should go out as planned and then call for help out on the water and pretend like it was an accident.

Belinda's skin turned gray as Stellan told his story. "Why didn't you just call the police?" Belinda said, wanting to pull Stellan's hair out. And her own. She had been so stupid.

"I was scared. Mark and I had a pretty open blowout at the club earlier that week. I didn't think they'd believe us. Besides, it could have been an accident."

Belinda had forgotten about their fight. "Did you fight about Mark's plans with Kyle?"

"What? No." Stellan looked confused. "It was business-related. I wanted him to invest in something, but he refused and got kind of angry about the whole thing."

"Maybe because it was illegal?"

Stellan looked shocked.

"Honestly, Stell. Did you think we all thought you were squeaky clean? I'm taking it you managed to get Jeff involved in something more recently."

"I think he wanted out." He averted his eyes, but he looked sad.

"I should hope so. And you should get out too, before someone kills you."

Stellan drew his lips out into a hard line. "I don't think that's why he died."

"Was it because of Mark? Maybe Jeff knew who killed him. Have you thought of that? Maybe that's why he was such a wreck. And none of us...none of us would give him the time of day."

Belinda wanted to pick up one of the boxes and throw it across the yard. And then she did. Stellan just watched as she heaved Kyle's box of junk and tossed it into the air. She probably intended to hurl it like a football to the other side of the green near the garden shed, but it wound up just a few feet away, froze on its side for a few seconds and then plummeted right side up, most of the stuff still inside. It was more noise than mess.

Victoria came running out of the front door to see what had happened. Belinda kicked at the objects on the ground, but her aim failed and most barely moved from their original positions.

"I think she's having some sort of meltdown," Stellan said.

Victoria glared at him. "Of course she is idiot." Victoria stood back as Belinda flung her leg out. "What happened, sweetie? You had calmed down a few minutes ago."

"It's me," Stellan said quickly. "I've upset her." He retrieved something from his back pocket with his other hand and gave it to Belinda. A business card. "This is a friend of mine. He may be able to help with Kyle. Just tell him that I referred you." 

Belinda eyed him suspiciously. She was about to ask how exactly this "friend" of his could help when Stellan stood up straight and gazed out near the shed. Jarrett skulked near the tree line of their properties, looking a little beat up.

"Do you want me to go deal with him?" Stellan said.

"I can deal with Jarrett." Belinda felt along the edge of the business card, wondering how this private investigator would help. "Thanks for the assistance."

If Jarrett's nose could talk, it would have a whale of a story and a laundry list of complaints. Jarrett squeezed his nostrils together, holding his head back to stop the blood pouring out of his nose. She'd caught him trying to sneak onto his property via hers, probably to avoid his mom. Belinda had already asked him what happened, and gotten some mumbled reply about a fight with a band member. She wasn't sure if she could believe him or not. Lily came to mind and what he'd been doing with her. She couldn't picture Lily beating him up, but maybe there was someone else involved.