Chapter 32: The Dark Forest

Start from the beginning

"Doesn't look very enchanted to me." Bofur mumbled, almost sounding half drunk. I shook my head,

"We must find another way across." Thorin barked.

I locked eyes with Kíli and when I looked up Kíli followed my gaze we both smiled. Branches and vines hung above us, and an outgrown root was the stepping stool to getting close enough to reach them.

Kíli and I walked slowly to them and I hopped onto the root and stretched my hand out for a vine and Kílí took the one beside mine.

"These vines look strong enough." Kíli encouraged and I gave my branch a fierce tug before nodding in agreement. I was about to jump on before,

"Kíli, Arulla!"

I stopped and turned to Thorin who gave us a small glare, "We send the lightest first."

All eyes turned to Bilbo, who gave an uncomfortable huff.

I sigh and jump down off the branch mumbling quietly, "You're no fun." Kíli giggled beside me, and we watched Bilbo climb up and latch on to the first vine.

Bilbo was quick, but even he was affected by the foggy haze. He swayed here and there but he seemed to have a good grip.

"It's all right. Can't see any problems." He said. I sagged in relief but then...

Bilbo reached for another vine but missed, his legs were wrapped around the vine beneath him and he was turned upside down only inches from the bubbling liquid.

"Ahh! There's one. Everything's... Fine." He mumbled.

I moved to help him but Thorin pulled me back saying, "He's fine. Let him be." I scoffed and looked back at our burglar and to my surprise he had maneuvered around and now was reached out across the river but his face was still dangerously close to it... And he just stayed there.

"Bilbo!" His head shot up, and once again he began to move safely across the river. But I had enough, I pushed passed Thorin's arm and swiftly and nimbly made my way across, Thorin following me close behind, only to pull me back I'm sure.

I looked ahead to find Bilbo again, only to see him jump off and land safely on the other side, his head bent over and clutching a nearby root, I moved faster.

He was mumbling something to himself before I heard him shout, "Stay where you are!" and then he said, "Oh."

I turned to look behind me and saw the entire company trying to climb across, probably followed after Thorin and me, and Bomber was nestled between a vine ,and I think it was Nori, fast asleep in snoring slumbers. I chuckle mentally but reach for the last vine and jump down next to Bilbo, Thorin right behind me.

Bilbo stands up next to me and I stop moving thinking that I heard the rustle of leaves and I wanted to make sure it wasn't my imagination, apparently Thorin heard it too. Then out from the bushes came something I could never believe to find in this forest.

A white stag.

It was the largest stag I had ever seen... And it was beautiful, and pure... I stood in awe as I watched it huff and snort, then the soft creaking of a tight strung bow was heard behind me.

I turned around, and I see Thorin slowly drawing back his bow, an arrow knocked perfectly in the cradle and his eyes glued firmly on the white animal.

"What are you doing?" Bilbo slurred, Thorin only continued to stare, as if in a complete daze with only him and the stag. He then pulled back quickly all the way and let go.

The arrow missed the stag above his head, and in fright scampered off into the dark woods once again.

Bilbo sighed, "You shouldn't have done that. It's bad luck." I snort for I know that-