Chapter Twenty-Six: The Plan

Começar do início

If he could hurt an already injured Nero for feeding from me, maybe murdering Lucius for sending me away really wasn't too far of a stretch.

"Only if we get caught." Lucius smirked. "Which isn't going to happen. So, do not fret over my safety-- just focus on how we are going to get you out of here."

"Okay," I pushed my worries to the back of my mind, and gave him a short nod. "What's the plan?"

~~~

"Are you sure Duke didn't hear you think about leaving?"

Lucius asked me after we went over the escape plan.

"I don't think so," I answered, unsure. "I was pretty far away from him when I thought about it, and he didn't chase after me."

"Good." He nodded. "We may be in the clear on that front. Just remember to guard your thoughts around him."

"Got it. Oh, wait," I smacked myself in the forehead. "Shit, I forgot about Nero."

"What about him?"

"He knows I want to leave."

"Oh," Lucius sounded surprised. "Not to worry; Nero won't be a problem."

I gaped at him. "Are you sure? He seemed pretty adamant about my staying."

Lucius waved off my concern. "Nero doesn't hold his vampiric heritage in high regard, so our politics are of little consequence to him." He paused, a wicked gleam lighting up his eyes. "Plus, he would relish the opportunity to screw over Gabriel."

I wanted to ask why Nero would want to screw over the Dean, but held off.

"Do you think he'd help us?" I asked instead.

Lucius shook his head. "No. At least, not directly. However, I sincerely doubt he would reveal your desire to run."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Good. So what do we now?"

"Lie our asses off." He hissed. "Me especially. You, continue your normal routine--go to class, maintain social obligations. And no matter what, do not think about our plan."

"Okay,"

"Right," he headed for the door, and held it open for me. "I shall contact you before Saturday night about your departure time."

I gave him a warm smile. "Thanks, Lucius."

"No thanks are necessary, Miss Ridley." He bowed in a courtly manner. "It is my duty to protect you, my queen. And my pleasure."

He shot me an uncharacteristically flirty wink, making me blush, then followed me out.

We silently went our separate ways after that, and I began thinking about class.

I thought about how much homework I had to catch up on, how I dreaded going to calculus, then English Lit.

I threw myself into taking notes and participating in class discussions, desperate not to let my mind wonder.

As soon as my last class was over, I went straight to my dorm room to do homework.

It was pretty exhausting, actively minding my thoughts. Or, maybe it was being fed upon two days in a row. Either way, I was asleep before I knew it; stretched out in bed, napping dreamlessly.

"Hey, Audrey,"

Jo suddenly whispered, nudging me.

I turned away from her with a groan. "No,"

She giggled, and nudged me again. "C'mon, sleeping beauty, get up."

"Is it Saturday yet?" I mumbled, thoughtlessly, while sitting up.

"No," she answered, bemused. "Why? You ready to get your party on?"

"Get my what on?"

"Ya know? Dancing, music, spiked punch?" She tapped her foot, feigning impatience. "A party!" She finally squealed.

"There's going to be a party on Saturday?" I felt groggy, confused.

"Well, it's more of a ball than a party. But still, there'll be good food, decent music...oh, that reminds me!" Jo stopped abruptly to hand over a huge black garment bag that was draped across her bed. "This was waiting for you when I came in."

I was wide awake now, staring at the bag with trepidation. There was a card secured to the zipper, with neat handwriting etched on the other side.

The color really does suit you well. Save a dance for me?
--G

A/N:
Another update, as promised! Hope you guys like it, and thanks so much for reading 😊 Also, keep in mind that this is a rough draft, so I may end up rewriting it later...