Prologue

Prologue

Ares took steps up the marble steps that led to the stone coliseum. A light breeze ruffling his dark hair, as the goddess of Wisdom climbed up after to stand at his side at the entrance.

"Summer is almost over." She said, dark skin reflecting the setting sun. "We need to prepare for the coming comet. Zeus especially."

"The Asteroid!" Ares' rolled his eyes impatiently. "You're always going on about it, now that it's coming. If we had it your way, it's the only thing we'd talk about."

Athena gave him a friendly shove. "We could do worse. You know how fast these month's will go. And Miss Sterling is almost on her way-"

"Aidan Sterling has yet to find out she's even moving across from North Dakota yet." Ares interrupted. "Honestly, Athena. You coddle the human kids too much."

"Just because I'm smarter than you." Athena shot back. As she finished speaking, they heard the shuffling of footsteps on stone. Two powerful auras hit them like a brick as Hades and Aphrodite, two more gods, climbed up to join them.

"We have plenty of time." Aphrodite announced mildly. "Let me know if anything happens."

"Thanks, Aph'," Athena smiled and Hades frowned, biting back a sharp retort. As if they would go to the goddess of Love for help.

"Let's get moving." Area urged the other Olympians. "Zeus and Poseidon are probably ahead of us. You know how they can be."

Taking the lead, Athena bounded up the rest of the steps despite Hades' grumbles, and entered into a large, circular room with the tallest ceiling, with gold incrusted walls, and a silver ceiling. It was like an Athenian Temple, but bigger and greater.

"Athena!" Poseidon, the god of the Sea, called from a round, silver table in the middle of the room. The sunlight fell into the room, hitting the table and casting its dying rays into the room. "Zeus and I thought you were never coming." Athena glanced to Zeus, who was already sitting down, clearly deep in thought as he twiddled his ashy blond beard.

"We're here now." Ares snapped from beside her, as they descended into the room towards the table.

Athena joined Zeus and Poseidon by the table and waited for Aphrodite and Hades to join them. Then she sat, pulling out a chair of the many evenly spaced around the table.

She was aware of the others taking their spots then opened her wide, dark brown eyes. "Let's discuss."

Ares' lips twitched into a grin. "The time is upon is. The prophecy will be fulfilled."

Aphrodite rested her head on her hands. "Really? I've been watching them. They don't seem ready. They're immature, foolish, childish."

Zeus's eyes flashed under his eyebrows and he stood up. Everyone's eyes were drawn to him. "We will not lie to ourselves. The world is in great danger. Tartarus is becoming looser any day now, and we must rely on these human children to guide our paths." His eyes surveyed the other gods and goddess's sitting at the marble temple. "When the time comes. They will be ready."

Hades frowned. "And if they aren't?" Athena felt a flash of fear from the first time they battled the titans. It was nasty. Despite being the goddess of wisdom and warfare, that war was brutal and hundreds died. "If only there were more gods chosen. Then they'd stand a chance with more people." Hades continued as Zeus sat down.

"It was the right amount." Athena stated calmly. "Too many and it would be chaotic. Too little and they would be too neat. It's the right amount." She repeated. "They will succeed."

"Are you sure?" Poseidon piped from across the room. "And if they don't?"

Athena looked at him gravely. "Then the worst darkness will fall upon the Earth."

Votes, comments and shares would be great! Thank you!