Chapter 10- Calm

Chapter 10

Calm

.:+:.

"... There is absolutely nothing to 'chat' about. I thought I already made myself clear-"

.:+:.

"... You what?"

Spirit grit her teeth, halfway hating herself for letting her tone drop as clearly as it did, and the other half of her feeling justified for it.

Her eyes flashed, red and glittering as she glared at the duo of the man and the woman standing before her- both older than her, both worn faced, dressed in formal, official garb, and grim and utterly serious as she stood there before the both, almost bristling.

Three hours and some minutes ago that man- the apparent Director of some secret Night-Hunters task group- had called her on her mobile and pretty much ordered her here. No reason, no details, just a time and a place and she had agreed even when she knew the instant she walked in and heard the story she was likely to end up where she was now, seething and angry.

The woman was a surprise- her title even more surprising- but no amount of authority nor how high up on the chain of command mattered for a damn thing after everything those two had explained, suggested, and asked.

Both of them seemed to grimace slightly at the clear amount of agitation in the No. 26's voice and posture, but they did not look surprised.

One half of Spirit's mind reminded her to be polite, but she didn't want to listen to it... But fucking hell, she would look like an emotional and hotheaded idiot if she let her anger get the best of her.

Not here Spirit, not now.

But shit!

"I understand what this would ask of you, Animal Spirit. But you have an advantage in this situation that other Pros will not." the woman murmured calmly, Spirit bristled more as the word advantage made an appearance.

Advantage my ass!

She bit down on her tongue, her jaw clenching tightly and her fists following suit at her sides.

Be calm-

"You are the most suitable person for this assignment, without a doubt." the woman went on softly, "You are a capable Hero, and you have proven yourself objective to whatever goal that is set before you. This is a dangerous thing we ask of you, in more ways than one- but we ask out of necessity, and not want."

"No." Spirit growled lowly, the refusal almost heavy on the air between them. The woman seemed to let out a silent sigh at the answer, but she couldn't argue. They had asked, it wasn't an order. "Find someone else. I guarantee you can find a Pro who will have an easier time with this than I would." Spirit muttered lowly, "Especially after I publicly condemned Stain and everything having to do with his actions, and anyone else's like his."

The man's eyes trailed toward the woman beside him as she nodded slightly, her arms crossed over her chest. "... Very well Animal Spirit... It is better to have your answer now, since we are so early in even putting together this assignment." The woman murmured, "... If you should change your mind however-"

"No disrespect ma'am, but my answer is always going to be no."

.:+:.

"-back in black~!"

Spirit swiped her phone up off of her nightstand viciously, growling under her breath as she got diverted from staring up at her roof in brooding, agitated silence. She'd come back to her apartment and just threw herself on the bed, still in full Animal Spirit garb from having changed into it earlier. She'd opted for coming home instead of going straight on to Patrol so she could just... Chill, and it hadn't done her much good.