viii

The girl let her body do the job for her, and she kneeled to the ground, the other three following her movements. Fallon risked a peak in front of her, and she saw the golden fur on the lion's legs in front of them.

"Welcome," he spoke, "Peter, Son of Adam."

Fallon was surprised at how calm and soothing the lion's voice was.

"Welcome, Susan and Lucy, Daughters of Eve."

Fallon saw Lucy smile from beside her, but kept her eyes to the ground.

"Welcome Fallon, Huntress."

The girl did her best not to look up, surprised that the king had acknowledged her presence.

"And welcome to you, Beavers. You have my thanks. But where is the fifth?"

"That's why we're here, sir," Peter said, standing up, followed by his sisters and Fallon. "We need your help."

"We had a little trouble along the way," Susan tried, hoping none of them would have to say what had happened out loud.

There was a moment of silence, so Peter chose to be the one to say it.

"Our brother's been captured by the White Witch."

A murmur broke out behind the group, and Fallon bit her tongue.

"Captured?" Aslan asked. "How could this happen?"

To Fallon, the Great Lion sounded almost disappointed.

None of the Pevensies dared to speak, nor did Fallon.

"He betrayed them, Your Majesty," Mr. Beaver said, and the brunette shot him a glare as the chatter in the background rose.

"Then he has betrayed us all," a centaur said, the same that had seemingly been waiting for them by Aslan's tent earlier.

"Peace, Oreius," Aslan spoke, and Oreius stayed quiet. "I'm sure there's an explanation."

More silence came over the lot, and Fallon was about to step forward to say Edmund probably didn't know what he was doing, though it wouldn't have helped much, but Peter spoke up before she did.

"It's my fault, really."

Everyone stared at the young king as he took the blame for his brother's decisions.

"I was too hard on him."

Susan placed her hand on her brother's shoulder, proud of him for taking the fault, but knowing it wasn't only his.

"We all were," she said.

"Sir," Lucy said in a small voice, "he's our brother."

Aslan looked at her, and Fallon could already see the adoration he had for the youngest.

"I know, dear one. But that only makes the betrayal all the worse."

He looked at Peter then. "This may be harder than you think."

Peter looked down, and Fallon nearly felt sorry for him. Then again, Aslan had said this would be hard. And hard wasn't anywhere near impossible.

"Oreius," he turned to the centaur, "please take Peter to his tent. Get a Dryad to take Susan and Lucy. I would like a word with Miss Hunter."

Fallon hadn't quite registered the lion's words until he addressed her.

"Young Huntress," Aslan spoke, and Fallon looked up at him, her amber orbs reflecting the lion's. "Please, follow me."

Fallon's heart was in her throat and she looked back, Susan, Lucy, and Peter all giving her small smiles of encouragement. Lucy's was the widest. Then, she turned and followed the King of Narnia behind his tent, and the lion waited for everyone to clear out before he lead her to one of the cliffs that surrounded the valley.