Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

No, that wasn’t right. Brendon was different. Changed. He would never again be a sheep blindly following the shepherd.

“Where’s the council?” Blain demanded as he came into the room and took off the head of a demon with the big axe in his hand.

“They went behind the curtain.” Brendon replied, ducking to dodge an axe and swinging his own taking off the legs of the Hunter

“Go after them!” Blain exclaimed. “We can handle this.” Brendon was about to ask if the wolf was sure when a gray wolf covered in red/gold highlights came bursting through the door, blood covering her muzzle. She went up to Grange and flicked her tail in his face before leaping on a mortal guard that was attempting to sneak up on Grange from behind, and quickly dispatching him.

“We’ve got this.” Grange replied, his blue eyes flashing as he watched Dawn leaping in and out of the fray of bodies.

Prisoners were now joining the fight. The hall and doorway were so thick with bodies that Brendon noticed not many were even using weapons any longer. There was no room to wield them. The fight had become savage. Hands, teeth, claws and small knives. The scent of blood, death, panic and rage filled the air.

The prisoners were angry. Brendon had no doubt that Grange’s pack hadn’t had to do much work, the prisoners seemed more than happy to kill the guards and the Hunters for them and Brendon did not blame them.

All that saved him from the same fate from the bloodthirsty prisoners was them seeing him fighting alongside Grange.

“I think the prisoners have this.” Blain said as he stepped back away from the main fighting force and watched. Grange nodded and then he shifted quickly, the glistening black wolf he became somehow even scarier than the blood covered man he had been moments earlier.

He let out a sharp yip and quickly the pack was surrounding him, even Blain had shifted now. Grange tipped his head to Brendon as if saying ‘We’ll follow you’ and Brendon quickly found Ella, who had become a one vampire killing machine in the throng of bodies. He took her arm, grinning when she turned and hissed at him before realizing who he was and smiling again.

“Damn, I always knew that smile would be pretty.” he said roughly as he kissed her blood covered cheek.

Grange yipped impatiently and then Brendon nodded.

“Right, we gotta go find those old bastards.” he said. “If we don’t then they’ll just find a way to put all this back together once we’re gone.”

“Well then let’s go.” Ella replied simply. “I want to go back home. I have improved a lot since you left and I am ready to get started on that future you promised me.”

“God, me too, honey.” Brendon replied, looking deep into those pale green eyes. How strange that they were having a quiet, romantic moment amidst all the blood and death going on around them.

Minutes ago, Brendon had been sure he was seeing her face for the last time, he had been sure he was hearing her voice for the final time and now here she was wrapped in his arms.

Brendon heard one last impatient growl and he turned just in time to see the pack slipping behind the banner that the council had run behind.

He and Ella shared a look and then went running after them.

“Grange! Farris is mine, dammit!”

***

Ella ran alongside Brendon. Her Brendon. He was alive. He was here with her. It seemed a miracle and Ella wasn’t sure how to process such a thing. Miracles were fantasies, dreams, things that had happened to others in stories she had heard but never to her.