two

A/N: Hi everyone!
I still haven't gotten over how excited I am about this story. You'll get Harry and Louis' first real interaction here, which is pretty exciting, I think. I hope you like it!
Much love to all of you. I'm in the midst of college application season, and I'm stressing. Hope you've had a good weekend so far. 
Please ignore any errors or weird things in this. Haven't edited, and I don't think I'm going to today. 
Let me know what you think in the comments! <3

****

Louis stumbles into the Great Hall late the next morning, hair and clothes disheveled. He sees Zayn talking and laughing with Liam at the Gryffindor table, and his mouth turns down into a frown. He determinedly marches over to them, slamming his hand down on the table in front of Zayn. "Why the fucking hell did you not wake me up?"

Zayn blinks a couple of times in wide-eyed surprise, but then shrugs, lips closing around a forkful of egg. "I tried, but you cussed at me."

Louis sighs loudly, pushing his shaggy fringe out of his eyes and plopping down onto the bench. "You're a fucking idiot, you know that?"

Zayn ignores him, instead tossing a piece of paper at him. "I got you your timetable. You're welcome." 

He then turns around to face Liam again and resume their conversation, leaving Louis alone to make faces at the back of Zayn's head before unfolding the slip. 

"Lots of classes with the Gryffindors this year," he mutters under his breath, taking Zayn's glass of orange juice and stealing a sip. 

Zayn turns around and wiggles his eyebrows at Louis. "It's great, innit? Plenty of time for you to get acquainted with that future boyfriend of yours." 

Louis nearly spits out all of his orange juice. 

Right. That. 

Liam looks adorably confused, eyebrows furrowed together and lips slightly parted. "Boyfriend? Louis, you like someone? Who?! Why haven't you told me?!"

Zayn snickers under his breath. Louis throws him an acidic glare. "No, Liam, I don't like anyone. While we're speaking of boyfriends, though, let's talk about how your boyfriend over here -- " he flicks the side of Zayn's head, and Zayn grumbles and swats Louis' hand away, " -- has gotten me into quite a bit of trouble."

Liam sighs, turning to Zayn. "What did you do?" 

Now it's Zayn's turn to sigh. "I didn't do anything, it was all bloody Stan Lucas' fault."

"Explain!"

"Well, basically what happened was -- "

Louis is smirking now as he leans slightly over Zayn to scoop a spoonful of potatoes out of the silver platter in front of them. He's pondering how far away the ketchup is and whether or not it would be worth the effort to stand up to get it or if he should just ask the meek-looking first year sitting near it to pass it down, when --

A loud chorus of laughter bounces off the walls of the Great Hall, and nearly everyone turns to look and see who's just come in. Louis rolls his eyes; he doesn't need to look. He already knows. 

(But he sneaks a glance anyways.)

Harry Styles and his cronies, Niall by his side, saunter into the room. Styles' smile is bright and wide, and he looks far too awake for this early in the morning. It makes Louis -- with his droopy eyelids and mussed hair and purple circles under his eyes -- feel self-conscious. 

Zayn nudges Louis with his elbow, and Louis only just realizes that he'd paused in his explanation to Liam. "You're staring," Zayn hisses under his breath. "Starting the act early, eh?"