Chapter 15

"What do you mean HYDRA is coming?" Steve asked her, still partially in shock from her abrupt return.

     "HYDRA is about to attack, they are on their way in jets right now. They hacked your defenses, you need to reset them."

     "On their way?" He paused, observing Eliza's face. "What happened?" He ran his thumb across her cheek, inspecting one of her many cuts.

     "I wouldn't give them information about you guys," in response, Steve pulled her into another hug.

     "You still have a lot to explain."

     "I know, but we should worry about that later."

     Steve turned on his comm, connecting with the rest of the team.

     "Elizabeth is back, and with bad news. She says that HYDRA is on their way to attack us right now. Everyone suit up. Stark, get the defenses ready, they've been hacked."

———

     Elizabeth headed to where she hoped is still considered her room, and found one of her training suits. She was hoping to run into Pietro along the way, but he was no where around. After changing into her suit, she darted to the control room to find Tony and the others.

     When she entered the room, she spotted Tony, Natasha, Steve, and Clint checking the surveillance cameras. Elizabeth was surprised to see no jets heading in their direction.

     "I'm surprised that they aren't here by now. Sure, created a distraction, but I didn't think it would set them back this long."

     "There's not a single jet in sight," Natasha added. Though there was no action in the sky, Elizabeth spotted some movement on the ground.

     "Tony, check the ground," said Elizabeth anxiously. Tony switched the camera to view the first floor, and sure enough there were soldiers funneling in. They were so busy looking at the sky, they forgot to check the ground. "They must have figured you would have shot their vehicles down."

     "Shit," stated Tony as he equipped his suit. He immediately put the building on lockdown, ensuring no more soldiers could enter the tower.

     "HYDRA is in the building," Steve yelled over the comms, "Everyone head downstairs, take down any HYDRA soldiers along the way."

The group decided the best strategy would be to clear out the two most common points of entry, the elevator and the stairs. Steve, Natasha, and Clint took the elevator, while Tony and Elizabeth took the stairs.

"You know, I'm really glad you showed up," stated Tony as the two hustled down the staircase.

"Yeah, me too. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if you guys got hurt, or worse,"

"Second thought, maybe we should save the sappy stuff for after the fight," Tony sighed. "I'm sick of running in this suit, we're flying."

"Wait, I can't fly- AH-" Tony picked Eliza up from underneath her arms, and flew down the stairs until they almost reached the bottom. But once they heard footsteps approaching, their flight came to a halt.

"We got incoming," Elizabeth whispered as Tony set her down. Tony stepped in front of Elizabeth as a group of HYDRA soldiers turned the corner. The group of enemies immediately fired at Tony, but his armor deflected all of their bullets. After wasting their ammo, the group was forced to reload. Tony shot down eight of the enemies, and Elizabeth charged at the remaining four. One of the soldiers had finished reloading, but Elizabeth swept his feet out from under him before he could fire. She stole his gun and shot him as well as the rest of his team.