"All right, come on, you lot," Mr Weasley said, gesturing for us to get into the first of two old-fashioned dark green cars.

I got into the back of the car next to Harry, followed by Hermione, Ron and, to Ron's disgust, Percy.

Compared to last year, the journey to King's Cross was very uneventful and didn't take nearly as long as I had anticipated. We arrived with twenty minutes to spare; the Ministry drivers found us trolleys, unloaded our trunks, touched their hats to Mr Weasley and drove away.

I walked with Hermione, who was trying her best to keep Crookshanks calm, all the way to the station.

"Right then," Mr Weasley said, glancing around at us. "Let's do this in pairs, as there are so many of us. I'll go through first with Harry."

The two of them went discreetly through the barrier, and when we were sure no Muggles were paying attention, Hermione and I followed briskly behind them. Once we had crossed the barrier, I looked up to see the Hogwarts Express puffing over the platform that was packed with countless witches and wizards seeing their children onto the train.

Percy and Ginny appeared behind us, panting, apparently having taken the barrier at a run.

"Ah, there's Penelope!" Percy announced, smoothing his hair and going pink. I exchanged amused glances with Harry before we both looked away to hide our laughter as Percy strode over to a girl with long, curly hair, walking with his chest thrown out so that she couldn't miss his shiny badge.

Once the remaining Weasleys and Atticus joined us, Harry and Mr Weasley led the way up to the end of the train, past packed compartments, to a carriage that looked quite empty. We loaded the trunks onto it, stowed Hedwig, Jupiter, and Crookshanks in the luggage rack, then went back outside to say goodbye to Mr and Mrs Weasley.

I couldn't help but blush slightly when Mrs Weasley, after kissing all her other children, Hermione, and Harry, kissed me and pulled me into a hug. I smiled at the happy look on Harry's face when Mrs Weasley gave him another one.

"Do take care, won't you, Harry?" she said. Then, she opened her enormous handbag and said, "I've made you all sandwiches. Here you are, Ron . . . no, they're not corned beef . . . Fred? Where's Fred? Here you are, dear . . ."

"Harry," Mr Weasley said so quietly, I barely caught what he was saying, "come here a moment."

He jerked his head towards a pillar, and I watched as Harry followed him behind it, leaving the rest of us crowded around Mrs Weasley.

"Come on, Rory," Ginny said, tugging on my sleeve, "we're going to board now."

"Right, sorry," I said, shaking my head to clear my thoughts.

Atticus was soon whisked away by some of his Slytherin friends, Fred and George went to go find Lee Jordan, and Percy went off to his Head Boy compartment or something, leaving Ron, Hermione, Ginny and I to wait for Harry by the door.

After a minute or two, he came running over to the train just as it started to move. I threw open the door and stood back to let him on. We leant out of the window and waved at Mr and Mrs Weasley until the train turned a corner and blocked them from view.

"I need to talk to you in private," Harry muttered to Ron, Hermione and I as the train picked up speed.

"Is this about what we heard at the Leaky Cauldron?" I asked him quietly, earning a nod in response.

"Go away, Ginny," Ron said.

"Oh, that's nice," Ginny said huffily, and she stalked off.

As we set off down the corridor in search for an empty compartment, I spotted a familiar Hufflepuff heading towards us.